Another Kritter Keeper question

SilverTycho

Arachnosquire
I apologize. I ask a lot of questions. Last time I was worried about my cages being too small. Now I'm worried I put my C. leetzi in too big of a cage. She's 1.5" and I put her in a small Kritter Keeper instead of mini. It's halfway full of substrate so she can burrow. Will she find food? I feed red runner roaches.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Most likely. I put all my juvenile spiders (2 inches and up) in 10 to 20 gallon arboreal enclosures and they do just fine.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Everyone has their own way of doing things but I tend to keep my t's in smaller tanks. I keep them in 20 dram vials till they're 1-1.5", then 16oz delis till they're to 2.5", then 1/4 of a 10 gallon tank filled 3/4 with sub. Most stop at 1/3 tanks except for some old females @ 6". I only have a couple that get a whole 10 gallon and they're 8"+ . I feel like they do better in smaller spaces because they find it easier to build a home, especially when they're small in the 20 dram vials.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I apologize. I ask a lot of questions. Last time I was worried about my cages being too small. Now I'm worried I put my C. leetzi in too big of a cage. She's 1.5" and I put her in a small Kritter Keeper instead of mini. It's halfway full of substrate so she can burrow. Will she find food? I feed red runner roaches.
it depends on the size of the KKs air slats on the lid. Some KKs have air vents that are too wide for Ts that size I think. I don't remember what the small size looks like, nor do I know what you consider small. They come in a lot of sizes, vendors etc.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If you're worried about an escape, I use their carapace (the "head") as a yard stick. Tarantulas are like cats - if they really want to, they can fit through any hole so long as their "head" can fit.

Also, I'm sure you've read a lot of fuss about enclosures being too large. Note that we don't preach against large enclosures because they're harmful (ignoring falls). We preach against them because they're simply unneeded. Personally, I always house my slings in containers that are much too large for their needs. I do this so that they can grow into them without me rehousing them constantly.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I've put the lid of a KK inside of a nylon stocking for smaller spiders, like the Salticidae, so they can't escape through the slats. Put the whole lid inside and tied off the ends. The nylon is thin enough that the lid still fits on the base with no problems. Not sure if it would work with tarantulas, because of their ability to cut through things though.

Attachments

SilverTycho

Arachnosquire
I'm not really worried about escape. If my judgment is current, she can't get out. I hope I'm not wrong. I'm rather used to escape artists since I have snakes ;)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've put the lid of a KK inside of a nylon stocking for smaller spiders, like the Salticidae, so they can't escape through the slats. Put the whole lid inside and tied off the ends. The nylon is thin enough that the lid still fits on the base with no problems. Not sure if it would work with tarantulas, because of their ability to cut through things though.
That's a good idea, I know a lot of people use nylon stockings for incubators. You want to keep a check on them as the tarantula grows. They can chew pretty good from what I hear.

Zepmaster

Arachnopeon
that is awesome! buying nylons now.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Here you go Venom, my hand is there for scale (I got long fingers)
View attachment 209373
Those are great for a lot of arboreals, but a 10-20 gallon for a small 2" tarantula is one, a waste of space, and two, causes stress. a 2" tarantula in a 20-24" long tank will take up one little spot and may have a hard time finding prey. Most will do much better in a much smaller space.