1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Heterometrus sp. ID

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by BobBarley, Apr 15, 2017.

1. BobBarley

BobBarley Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    IMG_1399.JPG IMG_1377.JPG

If anyone could ID what species of Heterometrus this is, it'd be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. BobBarley

3. Collin Clary

Collin Clary Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Can you try to get clear pictures of the carapace. Either H. petersii or H. laoticus but need clear pictures to be sure.

4. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    Like Collin said, kind of hard to tell with the pic lighting but I do see some granulation there, probably petersii.

5. BobBarley

IMG_1425.JPG

This is the best I can do for now, I'll try to get a better one when the guy comes out

6. BobBarley

IMG_1427.JPG

Here ya go... so what are the key characteristics of petersii (so I can hopefully ID them myself next time lol)?

7. ArachnoDrew

ArachnoDrew Arachnodemon Active Member

Looks exactly like mine lol mine is male "much more slender"yours may be female? Looks beefier

Attached Files:

8. BobBarley

Anyone got an idea? :) I can take closer pics if need be.

9. G. Carnell

G. Carnell Arachnoemperor Old Timer

EU
    Likely H.petersii or H.laoticus

Leaning towards the latter, but you'll have to check out Kovarik's "review of the genus heterometrus" key

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Red Eunice

Red Eunice Arachnobaron Active Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. soldierof4cheese

soldierof4cheese Arachnoknight Active Member

Looks very much like my two Petersii (Vietnam). Getting a third hopefully soon.

12. BobBarley

Thanks!! Here's what I got --

laoticus: "Carapace and mesosoma, smooth without granules."

petersii: "Carapace with disc smooth and margins granulate."

I'll take close up pics of the carapace when the guy/gal comes out tonight. However, does anyone know what "disc smooth" means? Just smooth?

13. Ran

Ran Arachnoknight

CA
    Laoticus have no granulation...smooth. Not many Laoticus are being imported. Perersii are stockier with mild granulation are the most abundant in the trade lately. I have 2 female perersii wild caught that look just like yours....both came in gravid FYI.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Collin Clary

15. BobBarley

Thank you, haha fingers crossed.
    Thanks, for the link man. I'll take a closer look at my specimen once it comes out again. In the case of it being petersii (seems likely), how do I know if the male's tooth on the movable finger is "enlarged"? Is there a reference picture you could point me towards? Or perhaps someone has a picture of either a female or male movable finger tooth? Thanks!

16. Collin Clary

If you do a Google search you should see a few examples of it. Otherwise I can post some pictures from the most recent ID key tomorrow.

17. BobBarley

18. BobBarley

Looked at him tonight, and pleased to say with confidence that my scorp is a mature male Heterometrus petersii!

• Like Like x 1