Anole ID time.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I disturbed this guy out of a sound sleep. I've never seen this type of anole before, my previous experiences in Florida only yielded the green and brown anoles. Certainly a sign of changing ecology.

I never got the chance to look at it's dewlap sadly.

IMG_20170603_223025861.jpg
IMG_20170603_223022584.jpg
IMG_20170603_223002810.jpg

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
anolis sagrei brown anole, they come from cuba and bahamas, they come in alot of different colors,and there is alot of intergrading going on down here(fla) we have bright brick red ones aswell. its also possible that it is an intergrade(crested anole/brown anole)if the dewlap is yellow or a bighead anole intergrade awsell. we have so many that it is getting pretty confusing with them, with all of the nonatives trickling in all of the time.remember........if it can be found........it can be found down here.

Last edited:

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That guy is way too big to be anolis sagrei and it's shape is wrong too. Counting the tail was at least 12 inches.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
12 inches, that's pretty big, hmm yeah way too big for sagrei, could be an intergrade, possibly crested,big head etc, there are so many down here ya never know,it's real nice one at that.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The fact that the brown anole is displacing the native green anole is disheartening.

Are there any places where the green anole is still dominant or is it a lost cause?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Are there any places where the green anole is still dominant or is it a lost cause?

Don't know about florida, but I'm pretty sure farther north, in say the Carolinas, brown anoles can't survive, so green ankles remain dominant.

lizardminion

Arachnolord
The fact that the brown anole is displacing the native green anole is disheartening.

I know in several places throughout Texas. Out here in the hill country, there's plenty of greens. Meanwhile, I haven't seen a brown anole once in the wild in Texas. (although I wouldn't be surprised if there were any browns out in the east like in the Houston area. Never seen one though.)
I think I recall someone saying they don't necessarily replace green anoles though, since green anoles are more apt to be arboreal and take up arboreal niches whereas brown anoles would stay more in the mid-level of a canopy or stay on the ground.