Animal that only requires maintenance once a week?

AnEndlessCold

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for an insect or arachnid or other land based arthropod that only requires maintenance once a week or less. I'm not allowed to keep that kind of stuff at college, but I go home 1-2 times a week, so I was hoping to find something that only needs that amount of maintenance. I was looking at beetles or roaches maybe, since they'll eat fruit or the premade jelly (although I'm not sure I'd be able to do roaches). I have millipedes already and I love them, but I don't think I want more right now. If I needed something like a fogger or a bioactive set up to lower the amount of maintenance I'm not opposed. I'd prefer something I'd be able to handle on occasion.
I look forward to reading everyone's response.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for an insect or arachnid or other land based arthropod that only requires maintenance once a week or less. I'm not allowed to keep that kind of stuff at college, but I go home 1-2 times a week, so I was hoping to find something that only needs that amount of maintenance. I was looking at beetles or roaches maybe, since they'll eat fruit or the premade jelly (although I'm not sure I'd be able to do roaches). I have millipedes already and I love them, but I don't think I want more right now. If I needed something like a fogger or a bioactive set up to lower the amount of maintenance I'm not opposed. I'd prefer something I'd be able to handle on occasion.
I look forward to reading everyone's response.
Arachnids are great and some are very low maintenance. However, handling is not really recommended with tarantulas. They could possibly jump, or you could get spooked and drop it. Falls from only a few inches can really hurt or kill tarantulas. Handling is possible, but not recommended. If you're looking for a spider, I would recommend a Grammastola rosea or an Aphonopelma Seemani. G roseas are very low maintenance, and are pretty good to handle. However, they sometimes fast for months on end. Aphonopelma seemani is very low maintenance. Tons of dirt will keep it happy and in its burrow. This species would be a little harder to handle, as they are usually more skittish. With all tarantulas, remember they have a sort of personality, and even though they may be a more docile species, there are always exceptions. Always check your tarantulas temperment by brushing it lightly on the back legs a few times with something like a paintbrush. Do this before even trying to pick up the spider, and YOU MUST be confident when picking up the spider, so you don't drop it.

Spiders are wonderful and pretty low maintenance. However, definitely not something you should handle too often. I hope I didn't discourage you from spiders and tarantulas with that. I hope you find the pet youre looking for!!

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
As Krystal said, a tarantula could be what you're looking for. I wouldn't go with a sling if you're only going to do maintenance once per week, but a hardy adult would probably be fine. Also as Krystal said, most people frown upon handling of tarantulas. The risk of injury to the animal from a fall or escape attempt is very real. You can minimize the risks with proper technique, but still you will always be putting the animal at some risk for injury or death.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are quite a few low-maintenance inverts that are fascinating to keep as pets, including scorpions, tarantulas, some true spiders (such as wolf spiders or Kukulcania species), centipedes, millipedes, whip-spiders (amblypygids), vinegaroons, and roaches. Others - such as mantises or assassin bugs - require slightly more frequent maintenance. I usually feed mine twice a week, while the 'pedes and arachnids only get fed once a week. Not all are suitable for handling. Hissing cockroaches are a good choice if you want something that you can handle.

If you are planning on keeping it at home while you are off at college, make sure everybody at home is comfortable with that idea - and that you have a secure place to keep it, where curious pets or siblings will not be able to get to it when you are not around. The last thing you need is for the cage to get knocked over or left open, for the spider (or other pet) to get loose in the house, or for a younger sibling to try handling it to impress his or her friends and end up dropping it and/or with somebody getting bit or stung.

Also, if there are times - like during midterms or finals week, or when you have a major project due - that you might not be able to make it home, is there somebody there that you trust to feed or water it for you - and who would be willing to do so?

Last edited:

AnEndlessCold

Arachnopeon
Arachnids are great and some are very low maintenance. However, handling is not really recommended with tarantulas. They could possibly jump, or you could get spooked and drop it. Falls from only a few inches can really hurt or kill tarantulas. Handling is possible, but not recommended. If you're looking for a spider, I would recommend a Grammastola rosea or an Aphonopelma Seemani. G roseas are very low maintenance, and are pretty good to handle. However, they sometimes fast for months on end. Aphonopelma seemani is very low maintenance. Tons of dirt will keep it happy and in its burrow. This species would be a little harder to handle, as they are usually more skittish. With all tarantulas, remember they have a sort of personality, and even though they may be a more docile species, there are always exceptions. Always check your tarantulas temperment by brushing it lightly on the back legs a few times with something like a paintbrush. Do this before even trying to pick up the spider, and YOU MUST be confident when picking up the spider, so you don't drop it.

Spiders are wonderful and pretty low maintenance. However, definitely not something you should handle too often. I hope I didn't discourage you from spiders and tarantulas with that. I hope you find the pet youre looking for!!
What is your opinion on Brachypelma albopilosum?

There are quite a few low-maintenance inverts that are fascinating to keep as pets, including scorpions, tarantulas, some true spiders (such as wolf spiders or Kukulcania species), centipedes, millipedes, whip-spiders (amblypygids), vinegaroons, and roaches. Others - such as mantises or assassin bugs - require slightly more frequent maintenance. I usually feed mine twice a week, while the 'pedes and arachnids only get fed once a week. Not all are suitable for handling. Hissing cockroaches are a good choice if you want something that you can handle.

If you are planning on keeping it at home while you are off at college, make sure everybody at home is comfortable with that idea - and that you have a secure place to keep it, where curious pets or siblings will not be able to get to it when you are not around. The last thing you need is for the cage to get knocked over or left open, for the spider (or other pet) to get loose in the house, or for a younger sibling to try handling it to impress his or her friends and end up dropping it and/or with somebody getting bit or stung.

Also, if there are times - like during midterms or finals week, or when you have a major project due - that you might not be able to make it home, is there somebody there that you trust to feed or water it for you - and who would be willing to do so?
I would definitely have someone to take care of it if I were gone for a week. And my siblings are old enough to know not to handle it.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYAN

Arachnoking
You can get a desert dwelling species of scorpion also.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
What is your opinion on Brachypelma albopilosum?
I love them, they're awesome, fantastic to watch, especially when eating and very low maintinence. However, mine is pretty dang aggressive. This may just be my T in particular, but I don't handle him, so I couldn't tell ya how he does with that. Again, extremely low maintinence, real fun to watch, but idk if you would be able to handle it. Also keep in mind they have longer hairs so if you have sensitive skin, you may not want to handle anyway.

Here's mine. Beautiful.

Attachments

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would definitely have someone to take care of it if I were gone for a week. And my siblings are old enough to know not to handle it.
As a parent (and former child) I can tell you that "old enough to know better" doesn't necessarily mean much.

My kids are old enough to know that they shouldn't do quite a few things, but that doesn't mean they don't do them. Likewise, my siblings and I got into all sorts of mischief after we were "old enough to know better" because that is the age at which kids have more freedom, less supervision, and greater opportunities to make bad choices.

I'm not saying it would necessarily happen to you - but it is certainly possible that one of your siblings, having seen you handling your tarantula (if you choose to handle), might decide to try impressing his or her friends by doing the same when you're not home. "Hey, check out my big brother's tarantula! It's totally tame - he holds it all the time. Watch this!" Even if you don't handle the tarantula (or don't handle it in front of your siblings), if they've ever seen anybody else handling a tarantula, they might still assume that it was ok to do so with yours. Kids can do dumb stuff, particularly when trying to look cool in front of their friends or impress a member of the opposite sex.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
As a parent (and former child) I can tell you that "old enough to know better" doesn't necessarily mean much.

My kids are old enough to know that they shouldn't do quite a few things, but that doesn't mean they don't do them. Likewise, my siblings and I got into all sorts of mischief after we were "old enough to know better" because that is the age at which kids have more freedom, less supervision, and greater opportunities to make bad choices.

I'm not saying it would necessarily happen to you - but it is certainly possible that one of your siblings, having seen you handling your tarantula (if you choose to handle), might decide to try impressing his or her friends by doing the same when you're not home. "Hey, check out my big brother's tarantula! It's totally tame - he holds it all the time. Watch this!" Even if you don't handle the tarantula (or don't handle it in front of your siblings), if they've ever seen anybody else handling a tarantula, they might still assume that it was ok to do so with yours. Kids can do dumb stuff, particularly when trying to look cool in front of their friends or impress a member of the opposite sex.
Or the same sex. Ya know.

AnEndlessCold

Arachnopeon

I mean my brother is a junior in high school and I know that he wouldn't touch the T, especially without my permission. He always asks about my beardie and he rarely wants to hold him anyway. My sister sometimes wants to show him to friends but she always asks and she doesn't like bugs so I don't think she'd do anything either. I'd definitely talk to everyone about it and keep the T in my room away from everyone.