Androctonus spp. at an expo?

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Hey scorpers,

Went to Repticon in Orange County, CA last sunday, and was surprised to see a few sellers with a couple species of Androctonus. This was the first time I’d ever come across this genus at any expo, as I was once told that expos don’t allow them. Did something change? They were going for dirt cheap, too (A. australis was around $50). Someone mentioned that a bunch just got imported, which made me a little uneasy regarding responsible wild capture. Anyone have any info on the current status of their wild populations? Were these little guys smuggled?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I know @ArachnoDrew was selling them there, even though I didn’t get to stop by personally. I think he breeds them. They are bred a lot, but adults can be wild caught. I imagine they are legally imported from Europe or possibly the countries where they are native. I don’t think someone selling illegally imported animals would tell you they imported them either. I don’t know about how common they are in the wild, but they must be doing fine if they are being sold for such a reasonable price and aren’t protected.

Djv44spider

Arachnopeon
I agree with the previous poster, it's either imported legally or bred in the states.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't think much is known about wild populations of Androctonus. There's not a lot of money in scorpion research right now unfortunately.

Hemilegend

Arachnopeon
Purchased my A bicolor at a recent expo. Hoping the next one has some A mauritanicus.

Nick White

Arachnopeon
yea we just had an expo in my town and i was able to purchase a A. Australis and A. Bicolor for $45 and $50.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've always felt that it's hard to put inverts in a threatened survival situation in the wild though it happens, P. imperator was over collected for example. But because of the breeding habits of inverts and the number of babies they have in general, it would be a fast recovery, always exceptions though, considering what sps it is and the situation. I remember a walking stick sps that was thought to be extinct but found it on an island, that was cool.