and then there was one!

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
36x12 tank with 3 emperors within about an inch or so of eachother, 2 females and 1 male.

the females are about 4-5", and 6-7", the male was about 6 stretched

so i wake up one morning to a male that's not moving and his tail is just laying to the side
i put him in a care unit like our tarantulas and sure enough the next day.. dead.

i check on them tonight and i see the big female carrying around the carcus of the smaller female......

and then there was one..

lol... man... for a communal species.... NOT Really.. huh?
i feed about 10 crickets per feeding and a tong feed to make sure they get some.. and i do this every few days

the big female (and she's gotten realyl fat since i got her) has been doing alot of burrowing, and redecorating.. and just seems to be quite busy.. she's definitely copped an attitude towards the others and i guess i didn't see this coming since she didn't eat the male.. and these 2 always lay up ontop of eachother..

anywho.. i'm down to the one big female and i guess i'll just keep her solo for a bit, she doesn't seem to mind. if i see her dragging the body around i'll get a pic, i figure she got this far, i'll let her finish her meal.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry about your losses, most times it works out

Well, it's not uncommon for a larger scorpion to cannibalize the smaller one. Don't know if you knew that, but it's a risk to place two unequally sized scorps together.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Watch this female scorp have babies. That's usually how some of these threads seem to go. Figures... ;P

That's really too bad.. there really isn't a %100 communal arachnid. When you do communal, you're still taking a risk but some species/individuals are just more tolerable than others. Least your scorp enjoyed a good lunch..

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hard to get adults exactly the same size, these were within a few inches of eachother which from reading seems fine from emperors.. they've lived together for a month so far.. the only loss is about 8$, the smaller female was a bit aggressive towards me. so its not a big loss to me other than the fact it was a bit shocking to see it....

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey, I'm sorry about your losses. I know how it feels to lose a lot of Scorpions. It really hurts, I know. :(

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Gotta remember that each scorp has their own personality. My last emp was the meanest emp ever. He'd actually charge at me when spot cleaning and almost rip the tongs out my hand.

But before that I had 3 communal emps that got along just fine.

Weird_Arachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can relate to Bazz. I had 5 scorps (2 males, 3 females), all were in a 30 gallon long.

The countdown begins:
-I traded one to my boyfriend's friend, for a female Nhandu Chromatus... I later found out she (the scorp) died from the wife blasting the AC.

-One day I came home from school, smelled something foul. Looked under various hiding spots, and found only the top half of one of the smaller scorps.

-Another time, I found a scorp dead in the middle of the tank.

Now I only have 2.
I'm almost positive one of the last two I have is a female, whom I sometimes call big mama (she was the biggest of them all and she had babies - but ate 'em). The second one I'm trying to get sexed, I just need better pics. The pic I provided is the one I'm unsure what sex it is. I have to capture her undersides better. Their deaths kinda discouraged me from having anymore scorps. I don't think I'm ready to even care for them.

Last edited: