1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An interesting and recently described species

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Extensionofgreen, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Extensionofgreen

Extensionofgreen Arachnosquire

I purchased a trio of the small species, Pseudodroctonus santarita sp. nov ( http://www.gvnews.com/news/new-scor...cle_199739f2-539c-11e6-8ea9-0bce207eb49e.html ) from a member, here and they are a very interesting, attractive, and reasonably active species.
    I’m keeping them on primarily granite sand, with some peat and excavator clay mixed in, as well as a portion of peat pot and lava rocks for hides and decor. I moisten an area of substrate and then allow the container to go dry over a period of days. I believe, living in mountain canyons, they have access to moist microclimates, although the overall climate is arid. They eagerly accept lateralis nymphs and prekilled prey.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  2. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

I love them and have at least of dozen or so. Had a brood last year. The babies are difficult to raise. Very fragile.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. RTTB

Throw in some oak leaf litter.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Extensionofgreen

Extensionofgreen Arachnosquire

We’re they fragile due to their small size? I had heard the same regarding Isometrus maculatus and I only lost one out of 40, due to it becoming mired in the surface tension of a poorly done misting on my part.
    They require lots of small prey and a temperature gradient, but due to being able to be raised communally, they couldn’t be simpler, to me, anyway.

I’m grateful to hear about your experiences and challenges with the young.
  5. RTTB

I only have experience with the one brood. I would not keep them communal as babies and definitely not as adults.
    Small size and easily prone to dessication seems to be the obstacle. Getting the humidity right is the key to success. My brood of P brysoni had better survival once I learned the right conditions.