Amphiuma

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
anyone here keep any of the Amphiuma's(1 toed, 2 toed, 3 toed)?, got any cool pics? also could someone tell me if it is illegal to keep Hellbender salamanders?, thanks--Jeff

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Legality depends on your state. Here they are illegal but they may be fine where you are. Check with your local FWS department. It should be easy to find them on the web and view the rules.

Phil

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never kept Amphiumas, but they look really neat. Be careful if you get one, I heard they can give a pretty nasty bite.

troi690

Arachnopeon
3 toed amphiuma

Hi just found you post, although its 4 years out of date...oh well!

I have a 3 toed amphiuma, shes about 30 inches long, and yes, has a nasty disposition. (cute smile at the same time though!! LOL)

Did you get one in the end?? I would be really interested to know, as us amphiuma keepers are few and far between!! LOL

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You're replying to someone who hasn't even posted on this forum in over three years.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've thought about keeping an amphiuma for many years, I just haven't wanted one bad enough to hunt one down though. I was told of a hunting spot in nw tx. I watched a show where some guy brought home an amphiuma egg from a school field trip. He was in his 40's on the show and still had the amphium between 20 and 30 years later. I can't remember exactly how old it was. And, for anyone that's interested, I looked into the Hellbender thing a while back and they do seem to be illegal in general ...don't know the details. Apparently they need cooler water since they are from cold mountain streams but I've been told some people have done it. I've got a couple of Sirens but I would trade them both for an amphiuma.

troi690

Arachnopeon
Amphiuma / hellbender

Hi,
I hardly know anything about Hellbenders, apart from the fact that they are VERY hard to get hold of (but not illeagal) In the UK. If you live in Texas, then you are living quite near to the natural habitat of Amphiumas....they arent hard for you guys to get in the U.S. at all. I was just trying to look at a supplier for you, but cant remember the name. will post again if it comes to me in a blinding flash.
Strange you say that you would trade in your sirens for an Amphiuma...as I would trade in my Amphiuma for some Sirens. Shame about the ocean in between us!! LOL.

josh_cloud

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hi everyone. i didn't know anyone out there kept these. i have amphumias (two toed ) and lesser sirens. they're fairly common around here. i'll go round some up for those that want them. amphumias have infested my pond! i'd love to trade for pedes or t's i don't have. funny thing is, i've never been bit by an amphumia and i've had them up to 3 feet long. sirens are like little underwater bulldogs. i love how they tear apart prey. let's keep this thread going!

troi690

Arachnopeon
Amphiumas

Hi Josh, must be cool living where you do...all those wierd and wonderful creatures. LOL. Glad you havnt been bitten by an amphiuma, as they can be nasty when they want to...mines a 3 toed amphiuma. Have got some sirens on order (have had for a year) But supplier keeps not managing to get them..LOL.
So what kind of spiders are you after??

josh_cloud

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i can see where it's hard for a supplier to get them. small amphumias and sirens/newts/salamanders are a largemouth bass's favorite foods. isolated ponds with lots of cover are where you find them. and they are somewhat seasonal. if the ditch or whatever they're in dries up, they burrow in the mud and encase themselves in slime till the area has water again.

grover wilkins

Arachnopeon
hi everyone. i didn't know anyone out there kept these. i have amphumias (two toed ) and lesser sirens. they're fairly common around here. i'll go round some up for those that want them. amphumias have infested my pond! i'd love to trade for pedes or t's i don't have. funny thing is, i've never been bit by an amphumia and i've had them up to 3 feet long. sirens are like little underwater bulldogs. i love how they tear apart prey. let's keep this thread going!
I'm looking for sirens can u give me a price for them if u can find them