Amount per cage

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've recently started keeping native millipedes, they are a small thin species with the biggest I've personally seen is around 2". Right now I only have 2 but I will get more once the weather permits. I'm building a new cage for them, a large KK and am wondering how many I can comfortably keep in the cage?

Also, does anyone know if I have a chance of getting a ID? I live in North Idaho fairly close to the Canadian border and these are the only kind of milies I've ever seen here. Typical dark brown nearly black thin, around 1.5", the big 2" I have now is a absolute monster for these guys.

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It just depends on how big the tank is, you could probably fit 10 to 15 + in a one or two gallon tank, as for the ID, I wouldn't know unless I saw a picture. Good luck!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I would guess something from Order Julida just based on location. With a lot of substrate I'm sure you can keep many more together but you may want to limit the airflow to battle dessication as I'm guessing these are from an area that sees a lot of moisture for a good part of the year?

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you, 10-15 is the amount I wanted:) Right now I have them in a eco-earth/sphagnum moss mixed substrate with some oak leaves. They are found in damp areas so I will make sure to keep them damp.

I can try for pictures but I'm not sure how well that will work, my camera doesn't do well with small objects. I looked up Julida and they really do match what i have. This pic is really, really close to mine http://bugguide.net/node/view/89195

Not concerned with a exact ID, I'm happy with the family name.

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To help them thrive a little better, try putting some rotting wood in there, oak would work great, I'm not sure of what that is! Haha i'm still kinda noobish as to picking out what
pede is which.