Amblypygid species advice

BeardBro

Arachnopeon
Hello!

I'm looking to add an amblypygid to my collection, and I'd like suggestions of places from which to buy.

I'm aiming at a larger species, preferably one that tolerates at least occasional handling. Ideally I'd get Euphrynichus amanica or Damon diadema but I'm open to other advice.

Are there any website stores that are trustworthy, or would I be better off looking at an expo?

Thanks in advance for any help.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Would be better posted in the true spiders section- it includes amblypygi.

To my understanding, E. amanica is a difficult species to keep. Majority also WC I believe. Not recommended for beginners or even intermediate keepers. D. diadema is a good beginner species as it tolerates a wider range of conditions & established captive stock already present. Not too easy to find though. Pretty much just have to wait until someone puts up an ad for these. And it will almost always for be the little babies. Juveniles/adults are almost never offered.

Currently the most common large species on the market are WC D. medius. These are do-able but do appreciate constant high humidity. Many of them are quite stressed by the whole capture-transport & the time on the sales shelves though. They will recover after a period of proper care & minimal stressors(handling, not high enough humidity and not dark enough enclosure are stressors). CB babies are starting to show up, these should be easier to deal with.

All species are rather fragile due to their unusual anatomy plus their unpredictable lightening quick attempts at escape makes handling not recommended for any of them. They are fascinating creatures that's for sure.

BeardBro

Arachnopeon
Would be better posted in the true spiders section- it includes amblypygi.
Ah of course, my mistake!

To my understanding, E. amanica is a difficult species to keep. Majority also WC I believe. Not recommended for beginners or even intermediate keepers. D. diadema is a good beginner species as it tolerates a wider range of conditions & established captive stock already present. Not too easy to find though. Pretty much just have to wait until someone puts up an ad for these. And it will almost always for be the little babies. Juveniles/adults are almost never offered.
Thank you for the detailed response; I'll strongly consider this. My appreciation, friend.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
E. amanica is, I've been told, very easy CB and nearly impossible WC.

Heterophrynus batesii needs high humidity and temps all the time, but I didn't find it too bad. This assumes they're still on the market somewhere. I only have experience with captive bred, again.

I would recommend against handling these guys, even though lots of people do it. The one time I tried it took forever to get on my hand--they're very skittish--and then moved so fast that I almost lost track of it. I think the scents on our hands stress them out. But maybe you'll be able to figure it out.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Ah of course, my mistake!

Thank you for the detailed response; I'll strongly consider this. My appreciation, friend.
Welcome! :) Hope you get one, truly. They're such amazing creatures.