Amblypygid deaths?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Low humidity is the biggest, especially during a molt. The risk varies, but it exists for most of them. Also low temps are certainly a risk, though I think that also varies between species (I would imagine, for example, that it's less of a problem for a desert species like Paraphrynus mexicanus, but I definitely wouldn't let it get cold for extended periods).

Is yours doing alright?

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would agree with Schmiggle about the humidity but I would add that my D. Diadema are pretty much bullet proof. I keep 3 babies in a 32 oz deli with a FF screen lid, paper towel on the bottom and a piece of cork tile at an angle and several times they have become bone dry and I have not lost one yet. They haven't gone through their first molt yet though either but this is not my first batch of babies and I have not have issue in the past either. I will make more of an effort to keep them more humid now though since molting is due soon and I don't want to take chances.

My Floridas on the other hand seem to be very difficult to keep for some reason. Those I have in smaller cups with coco fiber that stays moist all the time and I still lose them.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I raise Damon diadema and also have a small group of Paraphrynus mexicanus. So far (about a year now) the Paraphrynus have suffered no casualties. I have lost a few of the Damon over the years. The main cause of death has been cannibalism. I don't really have the space to separate the babies, so even though they are well fed, there are usually quite a few that end up eaten by their siblings - particularly as they hit the sub-adult stage. I've also lost a few babies to freeloading spiders (Steatoda triangulosa and Steatoda grossa) that slip into the cages as hatchlings, then share the fruit flies I provide for the whip spiders until they get big enough to start taking out the whip spiders themselves.

I did lose one to a bad molt, years ago - my fault for having the wrong kind of bark (palm) in the cage for her, instead of cork. As near as I can tell, she molted successfully but slipped and fell off the bark right after molting, while she was still soft and vulnerable.

I also had one turn up inexplicably dead in his cage. I had just put him in with one of my females to try to breed them, but in the morning he was dead. I don't think the female killed him, though, as there wasn't a mark on him and he had no damaged appendages or other body parts. My guess is that he might have just been too old - I'd had him for several years, and he was already mature or close to it when I got him.

joseoro11

Arachnopeon
Low humidity is the biggest, especially during a molt. The risk varies, but it exists for most of them. Also low temps are certainly a risk, though I think that also varies between species (I would imagine, for example, that it's less of a problem for a desert species like Paraphrynus mexicanus, but I definitely wouldn't let it get cold for extended periods).

Is yours doing alright?
Mine is doing alright hope:) no problems yet, I'm just trying to avoid making mistakes, this is my first one after all.