1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amblypygi - whip spiders pictures

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Banshee05, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Elytra and Antenna

Elytra and Antenna Arachnoking Old Timer

USA
    Advertisement
    What details? Did you notice the photo of the spine structure? Those are on the female, the male's spines are similar but reduced. It's a large species but not nearly as big as Damon diadema and the most interesting feature is the males have wide, fat chlicerae (palps are elongate too of course). If you look at the hands there's no large basal spine as in Damon or Phrynichus so it can't be either. Euphrynichus is more likely, do you have a key to species in that genus?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  2. Banshee05

Banshee05 Arachnobaron Old Timer

experience :) and the fact that batesii did not have elongated palps, just longicornis males, BUT I cannot say it for sure, I need to know where they are from- I just guessed that they are from guyana shield, like all other heterophrynus in the last years.

hehe, if you tell me a safe, quick and legal way :)

yes, i noticed this :)
    This is not Eupryhnichus, only two species are known from this genus, and both have complete different spination on the palps!
    As I said, Damon spp. or maybe Phrynichus spp. make clear shots of the femur, tibia and basitarsus of the palps, and the carapax, then we can discuss more in detail. I will not give a guess...

3. Elytra and Antenna

USA
    spines.JPG This is the male close-up. Can you give a reference to a single Damon species with no spines here?
    I don't know what you mean by carapax, we have the word carapace which normally just means the upper surface of the prosoma. carapaxpossibly.JPG

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  4. Elytra and Antenna

USA
  5. Michiel

Michiel Arachnoking Old Timer

:biggrin::biggrin::sarcasm:

6. Elytra and Antenna

USA
    Did you notice you have a third species name on your photos other than the ones Weygoldt lists?
    Euphrynichus alluaudi (Simon, 1936)
    Euphrynichus bacillifer (Gerstaecker, 1873)

7. Banshee05

yes I NOTICE
    alluauadi is a syn. of amanica!!
    I never posteda alluaudi species, just some amanica males :)

---------- Post added 11-26-2012 at 07:20 PM ----------

page 5 is only a small key for subgroups ;)
    i can tell you that it is not a euphrynichus. maybe damon or phrynichus exopthalmus or so... without a dead specimen and locality it is just a guess.

8. catfishrod69

catfishrod69 Arachnoemperor

I wonder if there is anyone near you that exports to the states. Maybe that would be a way to spread those awesome species around.

9. Elytra and Antenna

USA
    Thanks. Do you know the generic character/s that separates Euphrynichus from Phrynichus?

Are you aware of any Damon species missing spines here? spines.JPG

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  10. Deroplatys

Deroplatys Arachnodemon Old Timer

UK
    These are all making me uber-jealous, if only we could get half of those species over here. I need to make myself feel better by posting more pictures of my exotic phasmids in front of Americans who cant have them :p

11. Banshee05

euphrynichus has NO spine on the FEMUR, instead 2-3 bacilliform processes! this is visible with your eyes. And Phrynichus has many spines in most species.

all Damon spp. have spines, the first ones are from the hand and very large, followed by some smaller ones on the tibia.

12. Elytra and Antenna

USA
    It looks like the E. amanica in your photo has two large spines on the femur, can you please circle the spines in these images of yours that signify Euphrynichus versus Phrynichus? Thank you.
    This species lacks the spine in the circled area which seems to be present on all your Phrynichus except your P. exopthalmus and Euphrynichus images.

13. Banshee05

ahh...

differences between bacillifer and amanica
    [​IMG]

D.tibialis
    [​IMG]

P.orientalis
    [​IMG]

14. Vlad68

Vlad68 Arachnopeon

Phrynus

Hi, help identify.
    10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg

15. Michiel

1. Paraphrynus sp. 2. Prynichus sp? 3. Phrynus sp..

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

16. Vlad68

Vlad68 Arachnopeon

thanks
    №2 was under the name Damon gracilis.
    Number 1 and 3 came from Cuba.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  17. Michiel

Hi Vlad,

I am not sure about the second one, it has the "Phrynichid hand" of the pedipalp, and I am not that knowledgeable on whip spiders. User Banshee knows a lot about these animals, and he could give you more information. You might want to wait untill he posts a reaction or you can send him a PM.

Regards, Michiel Cozijn

18. Vlad68

Vlad68 Arachnopeon

Hi Michael,
    Thanks for the useful information.

Regards, Vlad

19. Banshee05

Hi,
    the second one is E.bacillifer!!
    the first one Paraphrynus robustus (Maybe cubensis), and the last one looks like P.margenimemacualtus, I am still not sure about all Phrynids from Cuba, they have a lot, but is looks so... anyway, nice ones!

20. Vlad68

Vlad68 Arachnopeon

Hi,
    Many thanks for the help!
    For more exact definition, photos are necessary still?

Regards, Vlad