Amblypygi species confirmation

brahn

Arachnopeon
The following amblypygi were sold to me as Damon medius, but I'd really appreciate a species confirmation before starting a breeding, as their characteristics seems to be slightly different making me doubt their species identification.

Sold as 2 female D. medius:
ambi1.jpg
Sold as 1 male D. medius:
ambi3.JPG
Sold as one of two unsexed D. medius juveniles:
ambi2.JPG

Could someone help confirm and deny their species?

Last edited:

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Could be medius, a clear ID is with this sort of pictures not possible. But looks indeed like a western African Damon species

aphono

Arachnobaron
Can you show a better picture of the second female on right in the first picture? It sort of seems maybe different but hard to be sure if the difference is real or due to camera angle etc

brahn

Arachnopeon
Can you show a better picture of the second female on right in the first picture? It sort of seems maybe different but hard to be sure if the difference is real or due to camera angle etc
Here's a closeup shot of one of the females from the first image:
ambi1.1.JPG

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,
you cannot tell it for sure based on pictures.
The first key character, dividing western- and eastern/southern African Damon species is the absence or presence, respectively, of ventral sac covers. Further, the 3rd tibial spine is only in large specimens shorter than half of the length of the 2nd one in western African, and is in most species shorter as… etc. in eastern African species. Further it become more complicated… e.g. number of external teeth, genitalia, frontal process etc.

brahn

Arachnopeon
Hi,
you cannot tell it for sure based on pictures.
The first key character, dividing western- and eastern/southern African Damon species is the absence or presence, respectively, of ventral sac covers. Further, the 3rd tibial spine is only in large specimens shorter than half of the length of the 2nd one in western African, and is in most species shorter as… etc. in eastern African species. Further it become more complicated… e.g. number of external teeth, genitalia, frontal process etc.
Thank you for the followup, I'll try to get some images of the ventral area of these.
My main concern is the risk of hybridization or cannibalism if I were to house them together and they turn out to be different species.

Is there any conclusive evidence, or significant indications that these are indeed two different species?

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
For me, they look like the same species in different ages, and duration to/from a molting event.

brahn

Arachnopeon
Ok, I got a ventral shot from each of the two groups.
Hopefully without stressing them out too badly.

The flash didn't cover the entire body, unfortunately, but it's as good as I'm likely to get without some additional photo gear.

Group #1 (the two females):
IMG_1645.JPG

Group #2 (The group of one male and two unsexed):
IMG_1641.JPG

Hopefully this is enough to work with.

brahn

Arachnopeon
@Banshee05 & @aphono : Looking closer at the ventral shots they look identical to me, and given the previous comments I'm going to conclude that they're the same species, and indeed what they were being sold as (D. medius).
That means the breeding project is a go.

Thanks for your help.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
these pictures do not help...you can't see something. And what is your intention? Sexing or species ID? ...

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Please take a clear photo of the ventral side. We are looking for whether or not there is a ventral sac cover. Looks like there is to me, but a clearer picture would be extremely helpful!

Can you please take a picture of the front half (where the eyes are) of the carapace? I'm looking for a little frontal process which looks like a little tooth sticking out from the tip of the carapace (in line with the eye turret).

If you have any dead specimens, I'd love to examine them as I'd like to look at the chelicerae & female genitalia for more species confirmation.