Amblyomma variegatum

Entomologist210

Arachnopeon
Just thought I'd post this here for all those folks who think there are no beautiful ticks. This is a male Amblyomma variegatum I found in a vial that had no alcohol while curating our collection. The colors are actually pretty well preserved, though the real thing has a gorgeous iridescence to the scutum. A colleague of mine has a picture he took at an abattoir in the Dominican Republic with a steer who's ears and neck were so encrusted with these bad boys that you might have sworn it was wearing expensive jewelry. Absolutely one of my favorite ticks. Amblyomma variegatum.jpg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nice to see some fancy tick pics! I'm partial to Dermacentor rhinoceros as well. For a "plainer" tick (though one of the nicest in the genus) I always like seeing Rhipicephalus pulchellus. Got heaps of those over in Kenya.

Entomologist210

Arachnopeon
I've got that too! Friend of mine found it while doing locust research in Mozambique. Interesting fact, Mozambique has no Rhinoceroses since they went extinct there. Tick still thrives since it's a three-host tick that can get on a wide range of ungulates.
Dermacentor rhinocerinus.jpg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't think there's enough enameling there for R. pulchellus. Looks like a closer match to R. maculatus, which is a lot harder to find!

Entomologist210

Arachnopeon
Wrong photo! (Need to look at these things before uploading since my catalog numbers are a mess) Still, it *is* a nice specimen! I'll dig around and find the D. rhinocerinus. I know I've got it someplace since I also photographed a Rhipicephalus appendiculatus as well.