Amazonía - North Perú

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, I came back from my trip. I was in the North Perú Amazon and decided to stay in that area only and not going to Brazil or Colombia, so I could get to know and explore it well since there's so much to see and there's never enough time. I spent 20 days in my trip, of which 12 days I lived in the forest, on a protected area of primary rainforest.
For now I will post pictures only. I have many many pictures and I will be posting more and more in time. I'm also doing a writing of my adventures, but it will take some time to finish that and maybe will publish it in some magazine.
I can say I had a great and amazing time, seen a lot of wildlife, enjoyed the peace and wonders of the forest, made friends, and most important...seen tarantulas in the wild (5 different species, 4 different genera).

Avicularia sp. Tapinauchenius sp. Pamphobeteus sp. ''chicken spider'', 2 sp. of Cyriocosmus.

Ok. Let's start posting pics! You're welcome to make comments and questions about it. :)

Best wishes, hope you enjoy!

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Great Photos. I have been waiting with great anticipation to see what you found. It looks like a wonderful adventure. I absolutely love the narrow river shots with the primary forest on both sides. For me there isn't any scenery more beautiful.

Looking at your campsite, when I was in Brazil 25 years ago I slept in a hammock in the forest and had lots of problems with ants. It didn't look like you were far off the ground. Any problems in the middle of the night?

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Great stuff Pato! I'm looking forward to the Tap photos... there's a few different species there (including the undescribed ones), so I'm curious as to which one you found :)

Eric

Moultmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those are some beautiful photos you have taken, felt like I was there. Look forward to the next set. Is that a snake skeleton in that one pic?

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank's everyone :) . I didn't have problems with ants, but some dangerous wasps were attracted to our lamps and one of them almost gets me. I was lucky that she didn't, 'cause they can give you fever they said.
I got tired of sleeping hanging so I placed my hammock actually in the floor, acting as a mosquito net only, and I must say I can sleep better laying on the floor.

The spine and skull was from a small cayman which was eaten by a Jaguar. I saw the tracks of the Jaguar all over the place too. I think there's a photo of one track.

The Tap photos are horrible! I'm sorry haha, I managed to get the legs of the adults, but maybe you can tell what they are. They were dark blue and medium to small tarantulas. Very beautiful and fast. Many spiderlings were living around their mothers. Will post the pics! They were one of the last pictures of my trip I think.

I'm looking forward to make another trip soon. It really wasn't hard to do it and didn't cost a lot of money actually. Once you go places like that you can't stop thinking the next time you'll be there! :D

More pics;

Pato-

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nice pictures, thank you for sharing, makes us dream... cannot wait for my next trip!

Martin

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank's guys. Yes the ''chicken spider'', or could it be just P. antinous? Don't know, but she was living with a juvenile and her burrow was flooded, as the rainy season will flood pretty much all that area. I wasn't expecting to find her because of this, but I was sooo happy I did! :D Also the adult female was carrying several fly eggs and worms that were parasiting her. This spider is being sold dead in cases all over Iquitos. I've seen some the were over 22cm in legspan. Their distribution has to be wide, since they can be found in north through south peruvian amazon.

Pato-

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Anyone knows what Cyriocosumus sp. might that be?

jaguar track (much visible in person...)

Pato-

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
great pics. really really thanks for sharing ..
someday i wanna be there.

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pato,

It does not look Cyriocosmus sp., I would be surprised... but who knows...

Hard to tell what it could be, my first gut feeling (which means jack by the way) goes for a juvenile of a Thrixopelma sp.

Thanks again for the pictures

Martin

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Martin thank you for your reply. Yes it's weird, at first I thought it was Cyriocosmus, but I'm not sure about that now that you mention Thrixopelma...well I just don't know! Here's another pic.

Pato-