Amazing vibration detection

RP91

Arachnopeon
I have a MM G. Porteri (named Apsia) that I have fed a few mealworms and just recently a superworm. It is amazing the vibration detection these creatures have. I wanted to share a few of the feeding stories that I have had with this guy.

I have him in a medium breeding box from exo-terra and he likes to hang out in the front of the box. This is right under the front feeding opening. I have had some problems with feeding him in the past. If I am to move the box at all and try to feed a worm / cricket he will not take it. I think it spooks him to not want the meal. I now just throw in the prey from the front feeding port now. As many know, mealworms / superworms are notorious for burrowing pretty quickly and getting away from your T. The first time feeding a mealworm I was worried about this.

The one I threw in landed just in front of Apsia and spooked him a bit so he backed up. The mealworm started to burrow but slowly. This is where the vibration detection comes in. He felt the vibrations and started to move forward. After coming up on the mealworm he placed his pedipalps on the mealworm and left them there for a moment. With the mealworm halfway burrowed he grabbed it. This happened twice when trying mealworms.

The more amazing part, and I had never seen this before, was when I gave him a superworm. He was in the front again and I tossed the superworm in. It spooked him again so he backed up but then moved toward his prey. The problem was this superworm was much faster than the mealworm and was burrowed fully by the time Apsia was over it. I prepared to take the box from the shelf where I have it to dig up the superworm when all of a sudden Apsia begins to dig! Violently at that, and snags up the superworm. He dug down about an inch up substrate (coco fiber).

This just amazes me with how poor their eyesight is, he was able to feel under the substrate and still grab the superworm. Has anyone seen their T dig for prey? Thanks for reading!

cold blood

Staff member
Crush heads before feeding, this prevents burrowing...you absolutely dont want a worm burrowing away and escaping.

RP91

Arachnopeon
Crush to the point that it kills the worm or where it still moves a bit?

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
Try squirting water onto the substrate using a syringe (I do this through the vent holes in the sling enclosures to avoid opening the lid). Its fun watching a T chase a water jet around. :)