AMAC ventilation for (ex)Avicularia

Drizzliz

Arachnopeon
Hello arachnoboards,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I acquired some AMAC containers at a recent expo to house some arboreal slings once they outgrow their current enclosures. They came with ventilation holes already drilled. While perusing the boards, I've come across the inverted AMAC containers, and think they are a great idea.

My question; are the ventilation holes sufficient in position if I were to do my set-up inverted style? Or should I add additional holes to the upper area/top, where the spiders are most likely to be? I don't yet own a drill, so adding holes would require me to buy one (not the end of the world, need to get one eventually anyways). Would setting up inverted even be worth the extra hassle, if required?

The future inhabitants of said containers are C. versicolor, A. purpurea and Y. diversipes.

Thanks,

AMAC normal.jpg AMAC inverted.jpg

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Looks pretty good to me. I usually have the holes around all four sides. But I can't see it having any issues in there if it's kept dry.

Dapink02

Arachnopeon
Hello arachnoboards,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I acquired some AMAC containers at a recent expo to house some arboreal slings once they outgrow their current enclosures. They came with ventilation holes already drilled. While perusing the boards, I've come across the inverted AMAC containers, and think they are a great idea.

My question; are the ventilation holes sufficient in position if I were to do my set-up inverted style? Or should I add additional holes to the upper area/top, where the spiders are most likely to be? I don't yet own a drill, so adding holes would require me to buy one (not the end of the world, need to get one eventually anyways). Would setting up inverted even be worth the extra hassle, if required?

The future inhabitants of said containers are C. versicolor, A. purpurea and Y. diversipes.

Thanks,

View attachment 292054 View attachment 292055
I completely agree with @Venom1080 That should be plenty of ventilation. Another way You could make holes without a drill is by using a soldering iron. Once that thing's all heated up, it goes through like butter without having to worry about cracking the enclosure. It might be a tad messy, but it gets the job done.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The ventilation you have will work, BUT, if you want to make life EASIER on your T and yourself, you should drill some on the top piece, and the sides up top.

WHY? Your Avic will likely molt up top, and may need water. They are not always going to use their water bowl. If you don't drill holes, you might be one of the many people asking later upon a molt, "help my Avic molted.....";)

Plug up the ones on lid, if you go inverted. If you put sub in at that level, it will come out.

Drizzliz

Arachnopeon
Great, thanks for the advice everyone.

I always keep substrate dry with these guys and provide a water bowl. I've used soldering iron in making all my previous enclosures (which came from the dollar store), definitely does the job. Wasn't wanting to use on these enclosures because of said potential messiness. Not to mention its too cold to do it outside now, and I'm not a huge fan of taking in all those fumes. :drunk:

The ventilation you have will work, BUT, if you want to make life EASIER on your T and yourself, you should drill some on the top piece, and the sides up top.

WHY? Your Avic will likely molt up top, and may need water. They are not always going to use their water bowl. If you don't drill holes, you might be one of the many people asking later upon a molt, "help my Avic molted.....";)

Plug up the ones on lid, if you go inverted. If you put sub in at that level, it will come out.
Had not considered that! Will definitely need to add some holes up at the top. You talking small ones just to be able to drip some water in? Or a larger one that can get plugged up to throw meals down?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Small, no need to drop food from top in an inverted setup.

obg

Arachnopeon
My Amac setup....i have ventilation on 2 sides opposite to each other...and one big one from the top 1 inch diameter. The top hole is covered by a steel micromesh screen glued on. Versis are ALWAYS hanging out to the top ( if not hanging upside-down from the roof ) so I had to cut out a little window on the side just above the substrate line so i can drop in a B lateralis or cricket. I could always open it from the top but I dont like destroying the webbing they make near the top of the enclosure. IMG_20181210_195257.jpg IMG_20181210_195230.jpg IMG_20181210_195222.jpg IMG_20181210_195307.jpg