1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amac Style Box Enclosures

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Trenor, Apr 23, 2016.

1. aphono

aphono Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Very helpful. I am not handy so I really appreciated that, thank you. What size drill bit for the holes?

2. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    No problem, I'm glad it was helpful. The holes should be small enough that the carapace of the sling you want to put in the enclosure can't fit through. I usually go way smaller and just add more holes in till I get the ventilation I need.

3. Magenta

Magenta Arachnopeon

Illinois
    @Trenor, you inspired me. I used an Amac box for my A. metallica I cut the top off of a Gatorade bottle and also cut a hole in the side of the Amac box and hot glued the bottle piece in place. It's really easy to fill water dishes, drop in prey, etc. :)

4. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    Cool, post up a photo of the mod. Sounds interesting.

5. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnoknight Active Member

Texas
    Photo please!

My versicolor molted today and its time to rehouse once it hardens up. I have an AMAC box ready to go but may have to add this to it first.

6. Magenta

Magenta Arachnopeon

Illinois
    These boxes are great, they're so clear. It's nice to actually be able to see the Ts :) I have a few boxes hanging around just in case I see a deal I can't pass up. :)

Let me know what you think. I'm always looking to make improvments where I can:)
    http://imgur.com/i7J3LIR

ETA: Soldering the air holes turned out kind of sloppy.

@Trenor, Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  7. user 666

user 666 Arachnobaron Active Member

Oooh, you are using the gatorade lid as a secondary door. I missed that detail before. Nice!

8. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnoknight Active Member

Texas
    Thats a fantastic idea! If you can feed and water through a separate hole that solves the issue Trenor explained of pokies running down when the enclosure is opened. Just son't forget to put the cap back on!

9. user 666

user 666 Arachnobaron Active Member

A lot of my mid-sized enclosures (4x4x5 AMAC boxes) have at least one ventilation hole sized for a syringe. (I'd take a photo but it is too dark.)