Amac Style Box Enclosures

Magenta

Arachnosquire
I don't want the superglue chemicals and fumes in the enclosure. It's not needed and hot glue works so well. Also with hot glue you can sometime pop off an item if it's placed wrong and still clean up the amac so it looks good.

Good to know. Thank you! :)

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I don't want the superglue chemicals and fumes in the enclosure. It's not needed and hot glue works so well. Also with hot glue you can sometime pop off an item if it's placed wrong and still clean up the amac so it looks good.
Technically hot glue also has fumes to which you need to air out the enclosure. They just go away quicker. I would think people could get away with super glue as long as they give it a couple of days to air out. Any adhesive you use should have a little air out period. How long depends on what you use.

As for plants and Ts. It's just a matter of finding a plant that will do well in the level of moisture you have set up for the T and light requirements for said plant. It's why people tend to use pothos cause they will live in just about any condition it seems.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
What's the issue with superglue?
@Trenor already gave my answer haha but thats the exact reason. Not to me tion the residue superglue leaves behind.

Another advantage to hot glue is while solid, its not permanant meaning there is no damage when you re-decorate

Vezon

Arachnopeon
I have been using that 100% silicone caulk recently, and it works wonders. The fumes aren't anywhere near as bad as epoxy or other super glues. It sticks well to glass, wood, plastic, and the air out time until the smell is gone is only like a week or so. It is also relatively cheap at $6 per tube (goes a long way). By far better than hot glue in like 90% of situations.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I have been using that 100% silicone caulk recently, and it works wonders. The fumes aren't anywhere near as bad as epoxy or other super glues. It sticks well to glass, wood, plastic, and the air out time until the smell is gone is only like a week or so. It is also relatively cheap at $6 per tube (goes a long way).
And it can be removed as well if one needs to redecorate. I've made the same switch for ours since my hot glue malfunction. If I have to adhere something I'll use silicone, it's a lot easier to remove as well imo when it comes to glass and such if the need arises.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I have been using that 100% silicone caulk recently, and it works wonders. The fumes aren't anywhere near as bad as epoxy or other super glues. It sticks well to glass, wood, plastic, and the air out time until the smell is gone is only like a week or so. It is also relatively cheap at $6 per tube (goes a long way). By far better than hot glue in like 90% of situations.
I have a tube of that a home but I haven't done a new enclosure since picking it up. It was needed for my nephews crested gecko project. I'll give it a shot since you both talked it up so good.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I have a tube of that a home but I haven't done a new enclosure since picking it up. It was needed for my nephews crested gecko project. I'll give it a shot since you both talked it up so good.
the only downside of silicone is the long period you gotta let it air out, but outside of that it works really well imo.

Vezon

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't even really call it long, a few days at most. You can sit it outside on the porch or in front of a fan or something to sort of speed up the process too.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
well for someone like me. Long=more then over night >.> XD I get so impatient lol

Trenor

Arachnoprince
the only downside of silicone is the long period you gotta let it air out, but outside of that it works really well imo.
Ah, so maybe the next one as I should be getting some new Ts in on Tuesday. I'll make up two one with hot glue and the other with silicone to make sure I am ready when they get here. I am one who hates waiting till the last min to fix enclosures. When you do there is always a snag. I want them to come out of the box and into their new home. I am stoked about the new ts though!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Wow, I forgot about this thread till I got an alert on it. Since I'm here I'll just drop a few more recent photos of some amac boxes I've done for avic enclosures.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
An update on the silicone front - I've used it on several of the new enclosures and I like it. On the shoe box enclosures I had trouble with the rounded surface making a strong bond with the acrylic/plastic bonding glue but the silicone worked great. I used it on everything on the last few including the hinges. It's worked great.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Very nice!! Can I ask how do you make the cuts for the round vent or drill holes like in the newest pictures? And how do you drill the holes in such a nice pattern?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Very nice!! Can I ask how do you make the cuts for the round vent or drill holes like in the newest pictures? And how do you drill the holes in such a nice pattern?
To make the round hole you use a hole saw bit the size you need.

For these enclosures to get holes in a straight line I used a piece of electrical tape (painter's tape would work best) along the top edge of the enclosure. I drill a line holes on the bottom edge of the tape. Then I covered the tape with a second piece that overlapped the bottom edge by about 1/4 the width of the tape. I drilled the next set of holes in a line along the bottom of the second piece of tape. Repeat until you have as many lines as you want using the tape to keep you straight. Peel of the tape and you have a nice multi-line set of vents.

Some people measure and mark with a grease pen drill and then wipe it off. I think this is easier though. Using the tape as a straight edge you can make all kinds of patterns if you are so inclined.

Last edited:

Vezon

Arachnopeon
Yeah. That silicone is great. I love the fact that it can be used to hold anything from moss to cork bark to plastic. It is also relatively cheap.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I wouldn't use these for pokies myself but it works good for most arboreal IMO.
My question then is what do you use for pokie slings? I use an AMAC for my versicolor and it works great, but my versicolor doesn't really care when I take the top off to clean up and feed it. I take it pokies won't be quite as easy.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My question then is what do you use for pokie slings? I use an AMAC for my versicolor and it works great, but my versicolor doesn't really care when I take the top off to clean up and feed it. I take it pokies won't be quite as easy.
They main reason I wouldn't use them for pokies is that while most arboreal Ts go up when you open the enclosure they tend to run down. Also, almost all of my pokie slings have burrowed/dirt curtained themselves a hide/home. The bottom opening wouldn't be good in that respect. For pokies slings I use a vial if they are really small and move them to a 32 oz deli when they outgrow the vial. I've not found a rigid clear plastic container that works as well as a deli for them.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah. That silicone is great. I love the fact that it can be used to hold anything from moss to cork bark to plastic. It is also relatively cheap.
I do still like using hot glue for plants to cork and other things (it's fast setting and if it gets on cork in the wrong place I can still peel it off), but I have been using it in enclosure construction a lot more lately. It's especially good when gluing two non flat surfaces where there can be gaps in places.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I really like the look of those set ups. I will have to see if I can order them in Canada

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I really like the look of those set ups. I will have to see if I can order them in Canada
Here is a link to the once I use for arborals bigger than an inch. Not sure how amazon does for you up there but any store that sales a similar box will work. The last few I got from the contain store. I rarely buy kits anymore. I just drill my make my own.