AMAC Boxes for Slings?

SlingMama

Arachnopeon
You don't need that many enclosures to raise a sling from 0.5" to 3.0"; three should be sufficient. The less rehousing you do, the less stress you place on your spider and the less money you spend. For my 5 NW terrestrials, I went from 2"x2"x3" Amec boxes to 4"x4"x5" Amec boxs to large Kritter Keepers (14"x9"x10"). I've had my spiders for 18 months now. After their next molt, I'll need to move them to larger enclosures.

I happen to like the Amec boxes, particularly because they're transparent rather than translucent. The lids are also easier to remove than the deli lids so you don't disturbe your spiders as much when feeding. The plastic is brittle, but I've only cracked one box while drilling holes and that was from the center punch, not the drill (I center punch the plastic before drilling to assure accurate hole location). If the lids become lose, a piece of scotch tape along the lip will snug up the fit. However, if you're on a budget or you have dozens of slings, deli cups are probably the way to go.

I get my Amec boxes from the Container Store. I've got one nearby so I save on shipping.

Below are a few shots of my GBB rehousing. Within a week, the new enclosures were completely webbed up and looked far less pristine.

Small and large Amec boxes:

Large Kritter Keeper:
What size Amec box would you recommend for a 3/4 inch sling? Also, where did you get the little air holes in the sides?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
What size Amec box would you recommend for a 3/4 inch sling? Also, where did you get the little air holes in the sides?
Just get a small deli cup and pinch the holes with a safety pin or such. I don't know what species you have but they'll usually outgrow their enclosures quite quickly, so, no need to bother with fancy enclosures at this size. ;)

SlingMama

Arachnopeon
Just get a small deli cup and pinch the holes with a safety pin or such. I don't know what species you have but they'll usually outgrow their enclosures quite quickly, so, no need to bother with fancy enclosures at this size. ;)
I have a Brachypelma Smiti that is 3/4". Received him on Tuesday. Has yet to eat anything, and I am stressing about it. Moved him/her to a smaller container, and still shows no interest in food. Worried he/she is going to die. Think my original enclosure was too big. He/she is now in a spice shaker, and I am worried it is too small. UGH!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I have a Brachypelma Smiti that is 3/4". Received him on Tuesday. Has yet to eat anything, and I am stressing about it. Moved him/her to a smaller container, and still shows no interest in food. Worried he/she is going to die. Think my original enclosure was too big. He/she is now in a spice shaker, and I am worried it is too small. UGH!
It's either in premoult or just not hungry. Don't worry, they can go weeks even months without food. :)

Pictures always help. ;)

As for containers... something like this will work:
20181012_water dish example2.jpg

And maybe @cold blood or @Ungoliant could move this enquiry to its own thread, so more people will see it (and it won't stagnate in this years old thread ;)).

SlingMama

Arachnopeon
It's either in premoult or just not hungry. Don't worry, they can go weeks even months without food. :)

Pictures always help. ;)

As for containers... something like this will work:
View attachment 301754

And maybe @cold blood or @Ungoliant could move this enquiry to its own thread, so more people will see it (and it won't stagnate in this years old thread ;)).
Pics are great, especially since I am a visual person! Thank you so much. I appreciate it greatly!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well, I actually meant that you could post pics to see if your container is really too small or not and how you're keeping your little one. ;)

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
I love amac boxes. My only criticism is that they scratch easily. As far as making ventilation holes you can buy a cheep soldering iron or an electric styrofoam cutter. Heating a nail over the stove works too.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Acrylic display cases for the matchbox 'hot wheels' cars are great for slings too. Hobby Lobby carries these in a 6 pack box. Use the 40% off coupon for a single item & they will be cheap almost glass quality enclosures. There's videos on Youtube showing how to prep them for slings.

I use a drill for ventilation holes as it's much easier for me to control the hole size & doesn't leave "doughnuts" like soldering iron does.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
• Toy car display case
• Made holes with hot needle.

898DCA2F-B91C-43F4-9163-E291D106A934.jpeg