Am I Too Old for Ts?....

suzypike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm 40 and have been keeping Ts for 5 years. I don't plan on getting out of the hobby till I'm just too old to care for them.
..even then, I might just pay someone to help me. :)

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm over 50. Tarantulas aren't only for youngsters. I just need to add a clause to my will to accommodate my spiders as many of them will probably outlive me. :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm 35, started not long ago after doing research for over a year and now after the short time that I am into this hobby, my GF decided to start it, too. Awesome, lol! :D

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
Never to old!, I have buds and friends who are 60s and even 70s that just got in the hobby, they LOVE it! How can you be old to enjoy something, just don't put Theraphosa in yer underwear, or if you do so,, Please take a vid and post here! hehe
Yea, good to know -- I am 50+, and no, I will not be putting Theraphosa in my undies.

And good to see there are some olde folk on here, We should start an olde folk club.:laugh:

Slevin

Arachnosquire
I'm young but if my dad is any indication, I'll always be a "big kid." In regards to videogames and such, my nephew recently told me "I'm glad you're my uncle, no one else knows what the heck I'm talking about!"

Yea, I wouldn't have it any other way.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Why is this even a question??

I think it takes a very responsible mature individual to care for tarantulas or any other living being for that matter.
Givin there are some immature people that improperly care for a T, but I assume you are not one of them.

And IMO you can never be too old for anything. You're only as old as you believe yourself to be. Age is just a number after all. I'm on my 2nd 18th birthday! :p When I eventually do age by my choice, I will be happy to be the old crazy spider lady. I will be happy to die alone with all my inverts and reptiles. I know, I know.. Pathetic. haha

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm 35, started not long ago after doing research for over a year and now after the short time that I am into this hobby, my GF decided to start it, too. Awesome, lol! :D
That's great! Whenever it's feeding time, my girlfriend puts everything down to watch. I can't tell you how many times I've heard her say "I can't believe I'm getting into tarantulas" over the last few months.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I will be happy to be the old crazy spider lady. I will be happy to die alone with all my inverts and reptiles. I know, I know.. Pathetic. haha
I'll take old crazy spider lady over old crazy cat lady any day.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I'll take old crazy spider lady over old crazy cat lady any day.
At least my house doesn't stink from tarantula feces. I like that my T's are clean and don't run all over my house deficating all over everything. Yuck. Plus I'm allergic to cats and dogs. Actually, anything with dander.... Nature too. The world works against me. I'm allergic to everything. D:

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
I've been keeping T's for about 3 years... Snakes & reptiles my whole life. Ill be 27 in June. You're never too old to do what you love, as long as you do it well ;)

When I eventually do age by my choice, I will be happy to be the old crazy spider lady.
^Yesss... My coworkers were teasing me about this the other night. I've decided to be the crazy old lady that the kids think is a witch & Ill sit on the porch drinking beer with spiders in my hair.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I'm 62 and I got my first rosie when I was about 47. She's still with me BTW.

I've found that most T keepers, especially the younger ones, start out with good intentions of staying in the hobby for many years but then, after about 5 years or so, the novelty wears off and family and supporting your family take priority.
thats why i think its a good thing the op AND his son can enjoy together.. its CAN or DOESN'T have to be an expensive hobby, but its somethin ya can enjoy with the ones you love the most.. a new t is cheaper than movie tickets or dining out and such ANY DAY

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's great! Whenever it's feeding time, my girlfriend puts everything down to watch. I can't tell you how many times I've heard her say "I can't believe I'm getting into tarantulas" over the last few months.
Yes, it is absolutely. Especially since she's on this forum here, too. Just rarely posts *nudges her* so far :) (we still demand pictures of your spiders btw!) - for us it's more the other way around, JFB: -ME- still thinking "awesome" whenever I hear / see her totally getting into the same "addictive" mood that I'm in for over a year lol! Once you got your first T it's like "the seed has been planted" :D

And age certainly has nothing to do with it at all :)

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my 50's and I've been keeping spiders of one sort or another for 40+ years...

Simon83

Arachnosquire
I get the feeling I could be the odd one out here as I don't think of me having tarantula's as a hobby...they are my pets. Either way I don't see having either as being age restricted. Oh and I'm 29 :p

2bears

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To Old...
Im 57 been keeping Ts for 8 years.... no age limits on enjoying live :)
2Bears

Boatman

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all of the responses, everyone. I'm relatively new to keeping Ts (2 years), and don't have many friends that keep them except one friend that has a pet shop and he sometimes has a G. rosea or an avic in stock and some emps (and a few on here), so I guess I was curious as to what 'the norm' is, if there is such a thing. I kind of fell into the hobby. Actually, it was my son who was pushing for one since he was around 5. We got one when he was 8 and now he's 11 and our interest in them is picking up. It's cool to have a common interest in something that we're both really excited about. Whether or not it's a phase for him, we'll see. But I think I'm pretty hooked either way.

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got my first t about 7 years ago when i was 10 with my dad :D I got a bunch now and its a full blown hobby. Start a hobby with your son, you'll be glad you didn't the age get in the way ;)