1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Too Old for Ts?....

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Boatman, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Boatman

Boatman Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I'll be 38 years old this year and sometimes I feel like a big kid, especially when it comes to these things. We (my son and I) got our first T two years ago. Lately, my additiction has been getting worse. What's the average age of T keepers?

2. TexasTreeViper

TexasTreeViper Arachnosquire

Texas
    I'm 30 and I have been keeping Ts for around 4 yrs.

3. natebugman

natebugman Arachnoknight

Well, I can't say what the average age of tarantula keepers is, but I'm 36. I got my first tarantula about 15 years ago, but my "habit" didn't really kick in until about 3 years ago. The only thing that concerns me about my age and tarantula keeping is who is going to inherit my pets when my wife and I die? As for average age, sounds like a good poll question to me.

4. Boatman

Boatman Arachnosquire

Thanks for the replies. I tried (and failed) to start a poll....

5. Twillis10

Twillis10 Arachnosquire

Im 23 and I've been collecting for about 4 years. Since I have been in the hobby I have meet more people in their 30s and 40s that people my age or younger. Also I've noticed the people my age I have meet have reptile collections and thats how they got into Ts, including myself. The people older than me most never had reptile collections. I would say 97% (completely made up, but you get the point.) have been male as well, not that Im shocked by that.

6. Lenxx

Lenxx Arachnopeon

Im 34, female, and got my first T about six months ago. :)

7. Saark

Saark Arachnosquire

NY
    I'll be 42 in a week, got ya all beat so far. :laugh:

8. captmarga

captmarga Arachnobaron

Texas
    I have quite a few years on you, and am crazy about my Ts. As I recall, the authors of the Tarantula Keeper's Guide (one of whom, Stan, is here on the lists) had/have T for more years than I can count in my own life... so why limit yourself?

You are only as old as you feel!!!

Marga

• Like Like x 1
  9. jim777

jim777 Arachnosquire

I started karate at 44 and now teach it :) Don't ever let age limit you in ANYTHING. OK, I would suggest a 85 year old not buy a Ninja and take up motorcycling, but you get my drift!

10. Saark

Saark Arachnosquire

NY
    Yeah, if you're 85, I'd suggest a nice, low, fat cruiser. The Ninja would probably be hard on the back!

11. Walk Alone

Walk Alone Arachnosquire

N/A
    Sounds like a great hobby for you and your son to enjoy together. Can't think of anything better!

I'm in my thirties and I think there is nothing immature about tarantula keeping. As for the new coloring book I bought on Sunday...lol :)

12. Shell

Shell ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker

30 with 2 kids here.

It's a hobby, everyone needs a hobby, and I don't see how keeping tarantulas would be seen as immature. They are, afterall, exotics, and many species require experience when dealing with them, as they are fast and/or pack a pretty nasty bite (OWs and some NW's like psalmos).

13. moghue

moghue Arachnosquire

I am 44 going on 45 i have been keeping T's off and on ever since i was 14. So you are never to old in my opinion.

14. Anonymity82

Anonymity82 Arachnoprince

I'm 29 and I just started keeping arachnids last June If you're worried about dying and leaving T's just get some that don't live as long :p. Plenty of those!

15. Jared781

Jared781 Arachnobaron

not even... Im probably going to take this hobby till the end

16. Louis Winthorpe III

Louis Winthorpe III Arachnopeon

usa
    I'm about to turn 40 with a wife and daughter, and just bought my first 2 Ts back in September 2011.

17. Tarac

Tarac Arachnolord

Florida
    I'm a 30-something too, seems like most of us are- at least most of us "old" people who wanted to see if we fit the bill in this thread lol. I started as a kid, never stopped although my interest in non-predators has waned a bit since then. Got tired of making tortoise salads every morning. Ts are great for older people with busy lives and more responsibilities, they're so easy. In some ways, like Shell said, I think there advantages to being an older keeper. First of all, you can buy that ultra-deadly giant soul-snacking scorpion you may have previously had to ask mommy to sign for ;)

18. Brad1980

Brad1980 Arachnoknight Classifieds User

Im 31 and have been keeping T's for about 5 years. As mentioned before its a hobby with no age limit. Some people collect baseball cards..... I collect spiders.

19. Crysta

Crysta Arachnoprince Old Timer

Awesome guys.
    I started collecting at 14 for spiders and now I am 21 woo!
    (11 for reptiles)

20. Anastasia

Anastasia Arachnoprince

US
    Never to old!, I have buds and friends who are 60s and even 70s that just got in the hobby, they LOVE it! How can you be old to enjoy something, just don't put Theraphosa in yer underwear, or if you do so,, Please take a vid and post here! hehe