Am I the Only One Who Thinks Drain Flies (Psychodidae) Are Adorable?

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
drain_fly.jpg
drain_fly2-small.jpg

If you're going to have an infestation of something, you might as well have an infestation where it's a little flying fluffball.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
They’re also great feeders for small spiders when all your crickets die off suddenly and roaches are too big

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
They’re also great feeders for small spiders when all your crickets die off suddenly and roaches are too big
I was actually reading online that you can scrape along your drain and potentially get this sort of scum off of it. In that scum, you can supposedly find their larvae. I'm kind of thinking of trying this and hopefully starting a colony with them :D.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
How would you continue to get the scum? It would take a while for it to build up.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
How would you continue to get the scum? It would take a while for it to build up.
Alternate between the different drains in your house or crack open a sewer pipe I guess. Just make sure what comes out of the pipe flows downhill and away from your place to your neighbour’s
Hadn't seen these before but they actually look interesting too (ouchie, but interesting, lol).
Being bitten by sand flies is just part of life when you go to a beach here. I’m going to Broome later in the year and apparently they’re so bad in Broome that people will strip to their underwear and jump into the surf to escape them for a little bit. There’s crocodiles in Broome by the way

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Being bitten by sand flies is just part of life when you go to a beach here. I’m going to Broome later in the year and apparently they’re so bad in Broome that people will strip to their underwear and jump into the surf to escape them for a little bit. There’s crocodiles in Broome by the way
Damn, we are full of those: they are the flying, living nightmare of farmers, in Summer :angelic:
They remind me a lot of our mosquitoes. We went hiking one time in mosquito lands and it felt like millions (might have been too) were following us. We got back to our vehicle and they were covering the windows :wideyed:.

I need to read up more about them but I was thinking of collecting some larvae from the scum and then seeing if I could get adults from those and continue on. Supposedly adults feed on flower nectar so I would substitute sugar water for that. For the larvae, I read that they can eat decaying vegetation, so I would probably try some of that for them.

Last edited:

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I’ve got no idea on what species they are to be honest. In fact there’s heaps of different flies that get called sand flies so I’m not sure
I've no idea on the Psychodidae species here either. Psychodidae sound like they're pretty wide-spread which is cool. Just read that these guys can actually be kind of beneficial. Since they eat through the sludge and hair in the drain, it can keep the drain from clogging. Seems almost like people should be introducing these into their homes.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I was actually reading online that you can scrape along your drain and potentially get this sort of scum off of it. In that scum, you can supposedly find their larvae. I'm kind of thinking of trying this and hopefully starting a colony with them :D.
You just need to develop poor cleaning habits like me. Then you’ll see the larvae from time to time.