Alternatives to crickets?

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
[QUOTE="ccT

***Crush the head of dubias and they will still move. They will not burrow and will have twitching movements, which will attract T's.[/QUOTE]

Is that necessary if I watch over them to make sure they don't burrow?

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Is that necessary if I watch over them to make sure they don't burrow?
Necessary in the sense of having the assurance and joy that your T ate in front of you (bigger slings 2"+). Regarding smaller slings, it's necessary to pre-kill (or crush the head) of the dubia nymphs. An alternative would be to slice a bigger nymph into pieces for your slings. Slings will scavenge.

If you choose to crush the head, the dubia will begin to twitch. The movements cause vibrations that attract T's. Not crushing the head will cause the nymph to "play dead" and lay still. In my experience, a dubia survived a couple days in my A. geniculata enclosure before I decided to crush it's head.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I've kept B lats about 3 years now. I find keeping them in a large (and deep) Rubbermaid container they do well (I don't use substrate). I have lots of tiny vent holes in lid.
The Rubbermaid container MUST be new -- that way inside sides are smooth and slick -- they simply cannot climb it. A used container may have tiny near/microscopic scratches that you won't see but will provide a foothold for small B lats.

I feed only fresh veg/fruit, some organic cereals and some catfood. They adore fish flakes but those sorta stink. Mine only receive moisture from fresh veg/fruit (which I also rinse before offering for added moisture).

The smell sure beats cricket odours. My Ts and bearded dragon adore them. I keep mine warm and moist and they reproduce very well. Best? They don't burrow in a Ts enclosure.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I raise the dreaded 'crazy red' crickets, been doing that for a few years, no smell but can't ship. There was a scare on the internet that they bite your inverts and cause problems. I think it was a scare tactic to get rid of them in the market. They have been great feeders over here, I've been raising them ever since they were for sale in pet stores a few years ago.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
I raise the dreaded 'crazy red' crickets, been doing that for a few years, no smell but can't ship. There was a scare on the internet that they bite your inverts and cause problems. I think it was a scare tactic to get rid of them in the market. They have been great feeders over here, I've been raising them ever since they were for sale in pet stores a few years ago.
This is the first I've heard of them. Where can I learn more about them?