Alternative Husbandry?

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
So this is could be a controversial thread... Stole the idea from a reptile forum.

Does anyone have any husbandry methods that would be considered alternative? I'm pretty sure there is not much more we could do for our Ts but I'm curious none the less.

I think the only thing I do that could be considered alternative is give my GBB a taller enclosure and keep all my slings bar one in larger enclosures.

If this thread does garner some interest lets keep it civil as this could turn into a mess quickly...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think the only thing I do that could be considered alternative is give my GBB a taller enclosure
I don't think that offering to a C.cyaneopubescens a taller enclosure would be alternative at all, for that many keepers in the past did that, since they were under the impression that the 'GBB' was/is a "semi-arboreal" spider.

They are terrestrials... more agile and fast like a chubby 'Grammo', indeed, but terrestrials.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
I don't know if this is considered alternative, but i still keep some of my smaller terrestrials in plastic containers with barely any headspace at all, like only 1,5" but with quite a bit of substrate. I don't see this being bad, but if someone can give me an opinion on subject matter, I'd be more than delighted to hear

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
I don't think that offering to a C.cyaneopubescens a taller enclosure would be alternative at all, for that many keepers in the past did that, since they were under the impression that the 'GBB' was/is a "semi-arboreal" spider.

They are terrestrials... more agile and fast like a chubby 'Grammo', indeed, but terrestrials.
Still has the floor space of a terrestrial but also has some added height for webbing :)

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I don't know if this is considered alternative, but i still keep some of my smaller terrestrials in plastic containers with barely any headspace at all, like only 1,5" but with quite a bit of substrate. I don't see this being bad, but if someone can give me an opinion on subject matter, I'd be more than delighted to hear
I think I do this too? Only negative I can think of is the escape risk....

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have several larger slings/juvies kept in that manner, e.g., B. hamorii, albiceps, boehmei, G. rosea. I do open things up however when they start reaching 3-4” DLS. I wouldn’t really consider it alternative, but more space saving practicality. I could not keep as many as I do without keeping enclosure size to minimums, and head space for a terrestrial sling is a non-issue.

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
I do this too, for terrestrial slings and small juveniles to reduce fall risk and give them space to burrow. I sometimes wonder if it might lead to a more stuffy enclosure due to less airspace, though.

Edit: wrong quote, wanted to quote MainMann.

Last edited:

MainMann

Arachnosquire
I think I do this too? Only negative I can think of is the escape risk....
Escape risk? Ive Never thought of that, what do you mean by this? Would love to know!

I have several larger slings/juvies kept in that manner, e.g., B. hamorii, albiceps, boehmei, G. rosea. I do open things up however when they start reaching 3-4” DLS. I wouldn’t really consider it alternative, but more space saving practicality. I could not keep as many as I do without keeping enclosure size to minimums, and head space for a terrestrial sling is a non-issue.
Yep! I keep Ts that are still under 3,5" in this matter, i give them much "nicer" enclosures when they hit the 4" mark, because then they're usually pretty enough to be used as display.

I do this too, foe terrestrial slings and small juveniles too reduce fall risk and give them space to burrow. I sometimes wonder if it might lead to a more stuffy enclosure due to less airspace, though.

Edit: wrong quote, wanted to quote MainMann.
I counter act this by giving those types of enclosures a buttload of ventilation haha. It's quite humid over here so keeping moist sub is still fairly easy even with lots of ventilation!

Last edited by a moderator:

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
I think he means that the T is so close to the lid that it become easier for it to bolt out of the enclosure when you open it.
That is true. With only a small airspace the T is literally one step away from leaving the enclosure. That is sometimes a problem when they make a small bolt for whatever reason since they basically are out even if they cover only a small distance. With more airspace and therefore higher walls the would sit at the wall with the same bolt distance.

Last edited:

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
I know people succesfuly keeping and breeding arboreals and fossorials, including e.g. P. metallica, in such small enclosures, that it would cause WWIII here.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Tarantulas are super adaptable. There's a million different ways to keep species that are all basically equally successful.

I keep arboreals in cages that are wider than they are tall.. the whole "3xDLS for arboreals" is just dumb. And can be argued that it only applies to Avicularinae.

My fossorials aren't generally kept with 10" of substrate. Instead they burrow along the bottom. I aim for double legspan, but don't keep any with more than about 8".

I use vials with one pinhole of ventilation for alot of slings. No issues in years.

I leave most mold and mushrooms alone. They don't hurt anything.

I use smaller cages with alot of juvi spiders. I keep alot of stuff in 32oz delis up to 4" or so. Spiders thrive regardless..

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I keep my avics without substrate just full water dishes and a sporadic misting directly on their webbing for drinking opportunities.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
BBDDE640-9327-4413-A808-BA116E918A2B.jpeg
Here’s the cage without the water dish and spider in it that’s all I have on my phone atm but I’ll take a picture of the T and its webbing when I get home tonight.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
D951C47D-D1BF-45F1-BE34-3B0C28A9D65D.jpeg
Excuse the poo and water stains. The web tube starts at the water dish and wraps around the entire back half of the log to come out between the leaves on the left. It normally doesn’t hang out on the door, I’ll have to get another picture of it inside the web. It also really likes the cork log and sometimes sits inside the top part of the bark.

Jim Cricket

Arachnopeon
Avic and associates are pretty adaptive.

Multiple examples of versicolors residing in man-made structures in their natural habitat.
Starts at 0.50