Alternans?

Yulian

Arachnopeon
So im just casually sitting in the living room when I notice something scurrying towards me and behold its a centipede! A pretty big one, my mother was horrified lol. So I caught it as id been itching to find a larger one but it had been awhile since id seen any this big. So im hoping to get a confirm on my id for the bugger im almost sure its an alternans( I live in Puerto Rico) and any feedback on the enclosure I set up for it. Thanks in advance!
IMG_9348.JPG IMG_9353.PNG

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Looks more like a Scolopendra subspinipes to me. The enclosure seems decent, just make sure it can't escape.

NYAN

Arachnoking
your enclosure looks fine. It looks like An alternans to me.

Last edited:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
The enclosure top may lead to an escape if the pede reaches the top. I had two centipedes escape and I found them in the crevice of the very small cracks so be careful!

NYAN

Arachnoking
The enclosure top may lead to an escape if the pede reaches the top. I had two centipedes escape and I found them in the crevice of the very small cracks so be careful!
Are you sure? It looks like it has a mechanism that secures the lid. I suppose if it got to the top it could squeeze though though.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Yea because it happened to me twice. On the bright side, the enclosure looks tall enough to prevent a problem. Just be careful.

NYAN

Arachnoking
My guess is that they would need the lid to be closer to the ground though. I’m aware they are super strong but I don’t think they can push out if something like that with only 2-3 segments.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Experience. :troll:

More seriously, because subspinipes looks like that, whether it's in terms of body shape or coloration.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Experience. :troll:

More seriously, because subspinipes looks like that, whether it's in terms of body shape or coloration.
I’m curious, what exactly about its appearance is able to help you determine this? I wish to learn haha.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Well, after seeing hundreds of pictures you learn to distinguish species. The colour of the tergites of this individual is orange whereas that of alternans' is more yellowish or brown. The pleural membrane is black instead of white; the legs are translucent which doesn't occur in alternans except for the tips. The legs themselves are here orange instead of yellow in alternans.
And so on. Overall body shape is different as well.

Yulian

Arachnopeon
Woah wait, if it is subspinipes this is the first i've heard of them being introduced into Puerto Rico. I'd assumed it was an alternans due to them being present in the greater antilles and Florida. I found this as I was searching for an id. I dont really have a clue if the information is valid or not as there isnt very much accesible information at all on what invertebrates inhabit the island or what species have been introduced apart from those of agricultural importance.
IMG_9237.PNG

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I doubt the information is of validity - it says they're most likely to be gigantea, which is completely false, as gigantea have a ring furrow.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Interesting. I always thought PR only had alternans but I guess I was wrong (I kinda doubted all New World subspinipes too). This (definitely subspinipes) looks similar to Hawaiian and Malagasy subspinipes with the dark orange body and red legs with blue tips. I like it!
I’m curious, what exactly about its appearance is able to help you determine this? I wish to learn haha.
The legs of this one are are too red and have a blue tip, quite different from the pure-yellow alternans legs. The head is a different shape. The tergites have less of a margin than alternans does. After a long time of staring at pictures of centipedes you start to notice these little things. :)

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Woah wait, if it is subspinipes this is the first i've heard of them being introduced into Puerto Rico. I'd assumed it was an alternans due to them being present in the greater antilles and Florida. I found this as I was searching for an id. I dont really have a clue if the information is valid or not as there isnt very much accesible information at all on what invertebrates inhabit the island or what species have been introduced apart from those of agricultural importance.
View attachment 263055
I haven't heard of subspinipes in PR either. I have heard of native New World subspinipes and introduced suspinpes before but I don't know which one is true.

FYI the alternans in Florida are S. longipes now.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Well now that I compare the photo to an alternans I see what you all are talking about. Good information, even though I don’t know one or 2 of the anatomy terms.

Yulian

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for your opinions and information! This forum never disapoints. This is only the second pede ive kept and the first is another native species which is wayy smaller(2in aprox.) and I just keep it in a jar, so this whole big pede experience should be a treat!