1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost two and a half years later...

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Teal, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

Advertisement
    Hasn't molted...
    Hasn't eaten in over a year...

Meet Arnold!

I wanted to share this comparison to maybe ease the worries a little bit of new keepers when their spiders don't eat or molt for a few weeks lol

1547028792795.jpg

• Like x 9
    • Love x 2
    • Lollipop x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Award x 1
  2. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

Knowing Arnold might one day molt and resume eating... It fills you with determination.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jrh3

jrh3 Knights of The Arachno Table Arachnosupporter

Wow this should remove all panic from anyone that missed a meal. So how long can they actually go without eating?

4. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking

Depends entirely on how quickly they were fattened up post molt. Some other species like G.porteri have been known to fast for years on end.

5. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoprince Active Member

USA
    Rated lollipop because i don't have the coolie emoji and i think Arnold is sneaking in junk food when you aren't looking.....

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

I was going to ask what the lollipop rating meant! Lol

Maybe he had dubia stashed in his log all this time :p

I will see this through!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

It won't because few people do the the due diligence and actually SEARCH for info, instead the drop by and ask questions and wait for answers, as they are lazy.

No one really knows. My B. albo no food for at least 18 months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Maryland
    My A. chalcodes has been in my possession for nearly 2 years and has never molted in my care either. She has a bald spot on her abdomen and it still shows no signs of darkening up. These critters are like pretty little statues.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ashlynn Rose

Ashlynn Rose Arachnosquire

My less than 1/2 inch sling hasn't eaten since early October. That thing stresses me out so much. I'm always afraid I'm going to peek into its burrow and find it dead.

10. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Finally got a moult from my girl this year - after over two years with me. I have no idea when she moulted last, but it was a minimum of two years.
    She fasts over the winter, but eats well in the warmer months. Last year, she went without food from November to March. This is how they manage to last for decades.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  11. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoprince Active Member

USA
    I think people assume the whole world should work like facebook... Everything is supposed to be instant and new. No retention or consideration for anything posted more than 5 minutes ago. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Personally, i find i usually get a MUCH FASTER, and MORE DETAILED answer to any questions by using the search function than i do starting a thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Many times I see people waiting a hours, days for answers that they could find in minutes if they weren't so lazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I gotten a free rose hair off of Craigslist and I have had her for almost 5 years now and she fasted for almost 2 years before she resume eating.