All rosie owners, please take this poll

Just how psycho is your rosie?

• Total voters

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My Chilean Rosehair is fricken INSANE. If she spots any movement, she comes tearing out of her hide in attack mode, rearing up, even though she's the plumpest, most well-fed T I've ever seen. I'm not sure if a tarantula's behavior can be warped by past mistreatment, but she came to me on the verge of death, utterly emaciated, filled with mites, and dehydrated - along with five others, two of which were beyond salvation. The other two survivors, from the accounts of their owners, are equally surly. So perhaps that early lack of sustinence made them a bit hyperagressive? :?

tinacouch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We have two in the house,one that is an absolute sweetheart and the other is a evil little so and so. You can't even walk by her cage without (a) getting hairs flicked in your direction or (b) her showing you a nice threat display.:8o

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My mature male is a bit of a psycho... sometimes he'll gimme a half hearted threat display, sometimes he pulls his legs over himself and turns into a ball of leg, and occasionally he'll just walk onto my hand when I'm doing tank maintenance. Oh, and he's afraid of jumbo mealworms.

My female on the other hand, is quite predictable. She's fairly active, ambling around her enclosure at night, and ever since she moulted never ever turns down food (she considers the above MM food most of the time... it has made mating them a hassle). She'll eat crickets on the spot, but with jumbo mealworms she usually carts them off to her half log and eats under there. NEVER threatens me or kicks hairs though, whatever she does.

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My rosie was very docile during the winter months and when the summer came along and the temp went back up (low 80s inside) i noticed her becoming more active and she also became more easily ajitated. That is not to say she went all psyco on me, she just showed a little discomfort by raiseng her rear.

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My rosie, which I got 7 years ago and named "Rose" in a fit of childhood creativity haha. She's evil. Not aggressive at all, never flicks hairs or goes into any threat display. She is such a mean spirited spider though! She will crawl around and find a nice spot on your arm, slowly rub one of her back legs all around her abdomen and get a bunch of hairs, and just casually rub them into her chosen spot on your arm. She's the calmest thing I've ever seen though. Just very, very spiteful.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol

These are great stories! I have two and they are like night and day. My female, Courtney Love (my favorite pet Hole) has an awesome burrow with two entrances she shoots out of in order to perform her Baboon-ish threat displays. She's worse than my OBT, but never, ever kicks hairs. My other one (yes, Curt Cobain) has kicked hair once or twice but never throws threat displays, always wants to come out of the tank and go exploring. Pretty laid back, just takes a short stroll around then wanders back where he came from. These spiders seem to be all over the page in terms of behaviors. I'm liking them more and more.

barkobarko

Arachnopeon
Omg

well my rosie belongs to the OMG group, i bought her from a friend, from her rosies sack, and believe it, its a thing called "like mother like daughter ", from water dish refilling, misting until cage maintenance she always always and always attack on any thing that lands on her area:(
like her mother she acts like an OBT too.

I'm really jealous on you guys that your rosie is a complete sweetheart:8o

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My rosie is a big sweetie. The most shes ever done is slap me, and thats because I was trying to remove by hand a cricket piece she felt was still HERS. Sometimes shell sit in her water (just because I want it), or chase my tweezers while I walk, but shes never vicious about it or anything. Shes a sweetie, for sure!

R.W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
50/50

For some reason my rose hair, Zoey, is quite nervous. I'm guessing that this is the reason for her mood swings. She is not normally agressive but usually runs pretty fast when disturbed.

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my rosehair was 50/50 when I had her, one time I htought of picking her up, so I tested her by brushing a straw against her leg. She bit the straw three times and started to climb up it:eek:. That could of been my hand{D. She was about 4-5" in.

skooma_addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My chilean rose was the typical "pet rock" for about three years but then all of sudden she bit my tongs while cleaning up the poor cricket whose remains she placed in the corner. I mean, I could hear the click from her fangs on the wood! Ever since, she"s been the typical placid rosie 99% of the time, but every now and then she gets sassy. Especially with the water dish. I usually gotta wrestle away from her or out of her little cave thingy she turned the log into. All my T's "guard" the water dish...don't know why, but about two or three times a week I gotta pull it out of the cave and refill it (since in the process of her dragging it it spilled everywhere!):confused:

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've had my rosea for about 3 years and she has never showed any crazy behavior, not even a hair flick. She only threat posed once when I was pouring the water in the dish. She does show some very VERY odd tendincies but nothing psycho.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My female is mellow, most of the time, sort of... I guess? She's gotten fiesty before molts, but most of the time she is a sweety pie.

My male hasn't reared at me yet. He'll submit to many kinds of torture before he gets flighty. Especially when torture means a sudden lift with a kitchen spoon into his girlfriend's tank for another over-nighter. He's finally made some babies!

jimidennis_16

Arachnopeon
Rose hairs are pretty unpredictable. My male is as skiddish as my Irminia. It's also thrown some threat displays at me.

Last edited:

Emilyloulou

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bought my rosie from a local pet shop, it was sold to me as a 3 year old adult male so it got it cheap, but is actually a female, and im assuming adult because she is HUGE. The petshop said the last owner couldnt handle her and actually gave me the tank she was in because they didnt want to disturb her as they were scared. They told me to mind my fingers. I thought maybe they were over reacting until we were driving back and in the car she went PYSCHO, biting the side of the tank, fangs out, threat displays, venom everywhere. I transferred her carefully into a temporary box while i sorted out her new tank and she left a big puddle of venom on the floor and down the side of the box. Since then every time i feed her she gets her threat display out.

olablane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive got anjelina Ive had her 5 yrs now and she has always been a very sweet lady. No threats or nothing I love her.

WitchyGirl

Arachnopeon
My Rosie was a little psycho when I first got her, for about two months she wouldn't let me touch her. She came from an abusive environment though. As soon as I got her housing straightened out for her, she became my best friend though.