All rosie owners, please take this poll

Just how psycho is your rosie?

• Total voters

natakamani

Arachnopeon
My Rosies an odd one. Im beginning to realize everyones are, lol{D For the first month or so I had her she was doing great. Docile, mellow, a cricket every two days. She had her a schedual. Now? Hell, Im lucky to figure out if shes hungry, much less what mood shes in. For example. Last week at one point she reared up in a defensive position for me taking out her water dish. On the other side of the tank. Yeah. But today and yesterday, shes been out, active, and a total sweetheart, "asking" to be let out and whatnot.

She had about a week there where she was taking a cricket or two a day. Now, at last check, she hasnt eaten in 4 or 5 days.

If I wasnt hearing all this noise about Rosies being in general crazies, I would have gotten so worried! As it is, I just enjoy it. She's not boring. :D

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I voted for the only occasional psychotic episode. She's actually never kicked hairs or tried to bite me, but she's been a bit moody since the egg-sac-eating incident. :(

I have to say, though, that she's my most active and outgoing T, and BY FAR the best eater. If I slide the lid off her tank, move the tank, or even move around too much in front of her tank while working on the others, she'll come out of her burrow or wherever else she's been hanging out and walk to the center of the tank facing me and wait. That's the magic spot where food always appears, haha. On the rare occasion that she isn't hungry, I know so because she just stays put. I never have to worry about dropping crickets in and chasing them down 2 days later because she's let them live. I love it!

Last edited:

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think that mine is weirder then psycho. I tend to always find him upside down lately make his web on the cover. Weird habits most of the time with mini psycho lapses. But i love her just the way she is !

Natco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine is pretty mellow most of the time. He gives lots of threat displays, but never actually bites, or kicks hair.

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My Rosea is fairly calm, won't do much. I have gotten warned by her though... hands have gotten to close to her without disturbing her (unlike when I am trying to handle) and, faster than I can think she smacks my hand. I didnt think they could hit that hard!
She has never given me a threat display, except for the artificial one once (she wasnt to happy... tocuhed one leg, she would lift it, touched next, lifted, next until all 4 front legs were in the air. It didnt look very threatening though.)

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i have 2 mature females, and i chose 50/50 because one is the extremely calm and just chills or slowly moves along. the other one is pretty calm but has given me some (not very threatening) threat poses...and i have a sneaking suspicion she would eat a potential mate, where as the other would probably just get down :D

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I actually have several Rosehairs, and none have exactly the same personality, but I would not call ANY of them predictable! I've gotten full-blown threat displays from every single one, on at least one occasion, and actually been bitten by one of them. All of them have exhibited "panic attack" behavior at some point, running around in terror at the least little disturbance, and then again, I've handled every single one without so much as a hint of a threat display. One thing I've NEVER seen a G. rosea do, though, is flick hairs. No matter how mad or how scared they are, I've never observed this behavior in this species. If a Rosehair does not want to be bothered, in my experience, it will behave in quite the opposite manner from most NW T's, which will usually kick hairs first to let you know to back off, and go on into the threat posture. Every one I've dealt with seemed more likely to bite first than kick hairs.

pitbulllady

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My rosea like I said has never bitten me or given a threat display. It has smacked me a coule times, and once when I was trying to handle it and just wouldnt give up, she got annoyed and kicked up a couple nice clouds. One and only time she has done it.... course I dont make a point of pissing her off either (as tempting as it can be... stupid, dangerous, not very nice, but oh so entertaining...)

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had 3 rosies in my life, and they all had very different personalities. And I say more, I had 1 for 19 years and her moods have changed a lot during ll those years, I mean, she had different phases during her life.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My first T, a rosie, is a complete psycho! I have to use tongs to remove her water dish and she will tag those if she's close.
Sometimes if she's on the other side of the tank then I can use my hand for maintenance but I always watch her real close. I will get a threat display if I remove her lid and once she jumped at my face when I lightly blew on her.

My rosie sling hasn't show any defensive postures but it's skittish, I've held it once and it was ok.

I just recently got what is supposed to be a rosie and she is the mellowest thing ever, has the personality of a rock.

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It varries from rose to rose.

Vir - Mature Female - Docile, calm, accepts any handling method and is never even quick about anything.

Spidey - Sub adult female - Skittsih but nonagressive, tends to run away during cage maintenence

Atacama - unsexed sling - Goes threat when the light is turned on, kicks hairs when a human is within ten feet. As soon as the vial opens, it skitters up to bite you.

Mha8649

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My adult female is super nice I can push her around in her cage and she just moves she never flicks or goes into threat display... Her cage is actualy nice to clean now the newest rosie I got he tries to be all big and bad and flick hairs and run ... I just laugh at him.

AaronT

Arachnopeon
Although I have only supervised my G. rosea for 4 days now, I would say it is very very calm. I had to changed my substrate and it was a bit of a trouble trying to get it out as it tried to move away with every attempt. It never tried to flick hairs or make a defensive stance...{D

Desert Rose

Arachnopeon
Meh rosie, Krunchy is an adult male. He is very moody, but never aggresive. He will either crawl onto your hand strait away, or walk in the opposite direction. He never flicks or bites though. If followed, he will display threats, but he has never attempted to tag me. Although he is moody, it is easy to see wheather he wants you to take him out or not. And yes, sometimes he WANTS to come out, weather its to see me or find a mate, most likely the latter.

*** He had one episode, where he gathered all the green terrarium moss in the cage, rolled it into a ball and stood on top, guarding it. I attampted to remove the moss ball, and he stayed in threat formation (craining upward) for 3 days. {D I THINK HE WAS HIDING HIS SECRET STASH OF HAPPY IN THE MOSS BALL. {D {D {D

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My first thought when I saw the title of this thread was, which one? I have seven! So I answered it about my Spider Queen, my very first T, Octavia. She has her moments, sometimes she is grumpy and sometimes she is calm, when she is grumpy she will push your hand away from her or raise her front legs so you aren't touching her. If she is calm she will step onto an offered hand with no fuss and sit there quietly.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
when i got my rosie she had not had food or water on a reg basis (that i know of) for 4 mos. there was no water dish so i doubt she had liquid for longer than that. attacked every little movement at all. she got ten crickets right away, as i did not know any better, and she ate them all, 3 at a time, stuffed into her mouth. she ate continuelly for quite a while. know she has 2-3 cricks a week and is relatively sane. she has molted once.

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have raised 3 from tiny sling to adult male and purchased 1 guaranteed female after the frustration of 3 males in a row (not that the males weren't great, one of them was an absolutely gorgeous red-phase that matured to one of the smallest adult Ts I have ever seen, I just don't like them dying off so soon). Two of the three males were always docile and sweet, one made OBTs look calm-always attacking the glass, the tweezers, anything that moved{D. He was also an escape artist if I opened his lid and wasn't prepared he was out and down the stairs faster than I could respond :wall: , at least he always went the same place to the dog kennel{D .

The female is in between, most of the time she is calm and composed...but then she erupts into the T from hell:evil: . Flicking hairs, giving threat displays running around her tank, up the walls etc. She will do this for a day or two and revert to a calm stereotypical rosie, go figure:? . Maybe it's just because it's her time of the month or something{D, I don't know.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have 3 adult females red phase, they are pretty skittish,and they do rear up here and there,great eaters though,they definitly don't like being touched at all.

ReccaAnt

Arachnopeon
Cleaning??

I have only had my rosehair for a few weeks, i've had a Golden Knee for a few months, and saw something with her I hadn't seen before. I have handled her a few times and she's always been curious when out. She loves crawling around and seeing things, but never looks for a place to hide or seems like she's trying to get away.

The other day, she spent at leaste a half hour laying web in her enclosure. Following that she was bringing her rear leg up to her mount, and using her pedilaps and chiclecera(sp..) she was working the tip of her leg through her mouth, then she would rub her rear. Mostly just outside the spinneretes.

Has anybody else seen this behavior? Do you know what it is? She did it for 20+ minutes. It looked really cute, she had all her legs pulled in closely underneath her which made her look really tall, and her body was kinda leaning towards the side which she didn't have her rear leg planted as she was "cleaning" herself with it.

Let me know, i'm curious!!