All About Insects' Photo Thread

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Gyna caffrorum nymphs
DSC_0978 (2).JPG DSC_1010 (2).JPG DSC_0976 (2).JPG DSC_1005 (2).JPG DSC_1008 (2).JPG
A now have a very nice 21-nymph breeding population of these guys thanks to the generosity of Mr. Kyle. :)
Gyna centurio nymphs
DSC_0901 (2).JPG DSC_0890 (2).JPG DSC_0914 (2).JPG DSC_0893 (2).JPG DSC_0921 (2).JPG
Just acquired seven nymphs to go with the three that I already had, giving me a grand total of ten. :)

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Armadillidium vulgare"Orange Vigor"
DSC_0927 (2).JPG DSC_0933 (2).JPG DSC_1031 (2).JPG DSC_0949 (2).JPG
DSC_0943 (2).JPG
A beautiful strain or A.vulgare, which has been "heavily outcrossed" showing a variety of orange hues(plus an occasional brick-red color) and exhibiting "extreme vigor". I received a dozen of these guys through trade. :)
Porcellio scaber mancae
DSC_0629 (2).JPG
Well...my female finally popped a few weeks ago and left me with a ton of these mancae! :D I heard that this species is quite prolific, but I didn't know that they were this prolific, I literally got about 25 mancae from this hatch alone!
Porcellio scaber"Calico"
DSC_1089 (4).JPG DSC_1106 (2).JPG DSC_1095 (2).JPG
I went collecting recently and found this beauty(along with several other normal individuals) under a turned-over piece of bark near a small lake. This individual seems to be a gravid female so hopefully she'll produce some similarly-patterned offspring that I can isolate this very attractive phenotype with!

blacksheep998

Arachnosquire
I just recently learned that A. vulgare "Orange Vigor" exist and now I'm seeing pictures of them everywhere. I'm so jealous, cant wait until I can get some new isopod breeds myself.

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
I just recently learned that A. vulgare "Orange Vigor" exist and now I'm seeing pictures of them everywhere. I'm so jealous, cant wait until I can get some new isopod breeds myself.
Hmm, I can't really say that I've seen too many people with this strain (at least on forums and FB groups), guess they are spreading around the hobby way more than I was aware of! I'm quite jealous of many of your strains as well. lol

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Euborellia Arcanum
DSC_1368 (2).JPG DSC_1369 (2).JPG DSC_1332 (2).JPG DSC_1336 (2).JPG DSC_1344 (2).JPG DSC_1309 (2).JPG
Received a nice starter colony of these sizeable earwigs from @Lucanus95 as a birthday gift from my parents. All specimens of this species have a very appealing glossiness to them, however, only the older ones show off the black coloration and bright yellow legs. Perhaps the most interesting aspects of this species is that, when startled, individuals will do a power-jump off whatever object they happen to be sitting on and land about 6 inches away!
Galerita bicolor
DSC_1237 (2).JPG DSC_1270 (2).JPG DSC_1263 (2).JPG DSC_1269 (2).JPG
Found at one of the nature preserves that I visited on my birthday while searching under loose bark on a standing tree. This large, energetic, and strikingly colored species certainly lives up to it's name as a bombardier beetle look-alike, momentarily fooling me at the moment of collection. I'm not too sure about how these fare in captivity as I haven't really heard of anybody keeping them but I'm assuming they would be like other ground beetles, easy to care for at adulthood, but tricky to breed and get eggs (let alone larvae) from. Just because of this beetle's sheer beauty, I will be keeping it, but, with luck, it may end up being a gravid female and hopefully gives me the chance to observe the gnarly and almost mutant-like larvae!

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Alobates pensylvanica
DSC_1250 (2).JPG DSC_1253 (2).JPG DSC_1235 (2).JPG DSC_1257 (2).JPG
Another "Birthday beetle", this large species of darkling was found under some loose bark on a standing tree in very close symmetry to Galerita bicolor and a group of Parcoblatta pennsylvanica nymphs. According to Bugguide, both larvae and adults of this tenebrionid are predatory, a characteristic I never knew was present within this group of beetles! As with the G.bicolor, I'm hoping that I have a gravid female and am able to breed this uncommonly kept, yet very fascinating species!
Adult Blaberus craniifer"Orin McMonigle"
DSC_1207 (2).JPG DSC_1206 (2).JPG
Had my first adult pop up a few weeks ago.
I now have about a combined 7 adult B.cranifer between my two strains and all of them have turned out to be males. :(
Female Trachelipus rathkii"Orange"
DSC_1094 (5).JPG DSC_1107 (2).JPG DSC_1096 (5).JPG DSC_1102 (3).JPG
These guys molted since I last shared pics of them, so I just thought I'd show you how they now look.......what a difference a shed exoskeleton can make. lol Speaking off how they've changed since the last pics, this girl actually became gravid and had birth! :D