All About Insects' Photo Thread

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Isotoma delta
View attachment 230476 View attachment 230477
View attachment 230478
While going through moist leaf litter, I found a few individuals (around 6) of this large and cryptic springtail species of the order Entomobryomorpha. Hopefully these guys do well for me as apparently they seem easy at first but then cultures tend to eventually fizzle out.
Adult Female Parcoblatta pennsylvanica Carrying Ootheca
View attachment 230480 View attachment 230481 View attachment 230482
First ootheca I've gotten from this species, it ended up being a large one!
Therea olegrandjeani Hatchling
View attachment 230484
So excited, just got my first load of babies!:D There were many more where this guy came from (approximately 55), but this was the only decent pic I could get, they're only around the size of my Isotoma delta right now.
Very cool, congrats on the babies. Awesome pics as always!!

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Orchesella villosa
DSC_0962 (2).JPG
DSC_0958 (2).JPG
Just found two of these monster springtails while out collecting bark in the woods. These guys are about twice the mass of S.curviseta and are also a bit longer. Along with the size, I also really love the black, bristly setae that they're covered in. Very interestingly, they seemed to show some territorial behavior towards each other as you can see in the last pic.
Meracantha contracta Pre-Pupa and Pupa
Pre-Pupa
DSC_0981 (2).JPG DSC_0988 (2).JPG
DSC_0989 (2).JPG
Pupa
DSC_0992 (2).JPG DSC_0994 (2).JPG DSC_0995 (2).JPG
Just checked on these guys to see that my two older larvae had developed into a pre-pupa and pupa! Just hoping that my younger larva will catch up to them at adulthood, not all too sure about my chances of getting a pair with only two adults.

Last edited:

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Second Instar Eurycotis lixa Nymphs
DSC_1147 (2).JPG DSC_1149 (2).JPG
Speaking of these guys, I just had another hatch of 16 nymphs!
Trachelipus rathkii"Gray"
DSC_1074 (2).JPG DSC_1080 (2).JPG
I'm currently trying to isolate this common(on par with calico) P.scaber-esque phenotype of Trachelipus rathii.
Trachelipus rathkii"Calico" Mancae
DSC_0658 (2).JPG
I've gotten tons of mancae from these guys so far, now I'm just waiting to see if they display the calico phenotype as well!
Tomocerus minor
DSC_1099 (2).JPG DSC_1105 (2).JPG
I was going through a bag of rotten wood that I had collected around Thanksgiving when I found a good number of these large springtails that are beautifully coated in a rainbow colored sheen. Unfortunately these guys are pretty tricky to keep, but there's a suspicion that they may be algae eaters(which so far has not been fed to them in captivity). I may or may not try culturing these stunning little arthropods, but it's nice to get a look at them anyway!
Porcellio spinicornis Mancae
DSC_1070 (2).JPG
I'm very glad to have so many mancae of this attractively patterned species, hope they continue to thrive!
Coproporus ventriculus
DSC_1062 (2).JPG
DSC_1064 (2).JPG
I always find a lot of these tiny, crab-like rove beetles in the rotten wood that I collect. They are probably the most bizarre-looking rove beetles out there! There is not much known on the feeding habits of these odd, little creatures, but it can be assumed that they likely feed on fungi(or additionally fungus gnat larvae, or mites and springtails) since they are so plentiful in rotten wood. I have been advised to feed them mushrooms and yeast by one enthusiast and mites/springtails and cat/fish food by another. I think I'll try yeast and mushrooms for now and see how they do.

Last edited:

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Here's some pics of all (three, one female and two males) the black-winged adult Archimandrita tesselata that I currently have in my colony. :)
DSC_1112 (2).JPG DSC_1124 (2).JPG DSC_1131 (2).JPG DSC_1130 (2).JPG DSC_1122 (2).JPG
DSC_1127 (2).JPG
Adult Necrophila Americana
DSC_1111 (2).JPG DSC_1126 (2).JPG DSC_1113 (2).JPG DSC_1098 (2).JPG I found one individual of the gorgeous(not so much in feeding habits) American carrion beetle while searching under leaf litter for Orchesella villosa. I don't really think I'll try culturing any species of carrion beetle, but it was definitely nice seeing one of these beauties in person!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Nice, I've never had the pleasure of seeing Necrophila americana in person before, but I have seen and kept a couple individuals of the closely related genus Nicrophorus. Those guys have different feeding habits than Necrophila, the adults eat live invertebrates, such as maggots or other beetle larvae, my individuals would tackle large Eleodes larva and ride them as they were chewing through them, it was like a little rodeo!

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Nice, I've never had the pleasure of seeing Necrophila americana in person before, but I have seen and kept a couple individuals of the closely related genus Nicrophorus. Those guys have different feeding habits than Necrophila, the adults eat live invertebrates, such as maggots or other beetle larvae, my individuals would tackle large Eleodes larva and ride them as they were chewing through them, it was like a little rodeo!
Ooh, very cool! These guys eat maggots as well, but yea, definitely not nearly predatory to the extent of Nicrophorus. Wow, sounds like a very entertaining feeding response. lol

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Porcellio spinicornis"Black"
DSC_0163 (2).JPG
Porcellio spinicornis"Pale"
DSC_0234 (2).JPG DSC_0238 (2).JPG DSC_0243 (2).JPG
I will try isolating these two polar opposite color morphs of the brickwork isopod. I currently have two "Black" specimens and one "Pale" specimen, which actually gave birth to a nice litter of mancae recently.
Large Eurycotis decipiens nymph
DSC_0287 (2).JPG DSC_0296 (2).JPG DSC_0320 (2).JPG DSC_0312 (2).JPG DSC_0311 (2).JPG DSC_0305 (2).JPG
Most of my F1 nymphs, like this guy, are pre-sub-adults or sub-adults. One of them has even matured! Can't wait for the F2 nymphs to start rolling in once the F1s start breeding! :)

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Adult Male Blaberus craniifer"UCR"
(Recently Molted)
DSC_0505 (2).JPG DSC_0501 (2).JPG DSC_0461 (2).JPG DSC_0455 (2).JPG DSC_0467 (2).JPG
(Full Coloration)
DSC_0752 (2).JPG
My first adult, what a stunner he is! The nymphs were all very close in age so the others should be following along very soon.
Therea olegrandjeani 1st-2nd Instar Nymphs
DSC_0349 (2).JPG DSC_0344 (2).JPG DSC_0338 (2).JPG
Finally got some good pics of these guys and just wanted to share....the substrate is crawling with them. lol

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Gravid Porcellio scaber
DSC_0240 (2).JPG DSC_0691 (2).JPG DSC_0693 (2).JPG DSC_0696 (2).JPG
I collected one of these and it turned out to be a gravid female...YES!
Eurycotis lixa 1st-2nd Instar Nymphs
DSC_0431 (2).JPG DSC_0425 (2).JPG DSC_0434 (2).JPG
I ended up getting forty-one nymphs from the three oothecae that hatched(excluding the first that only yield a couple weak nymphs). Looks like my rode to reviving my colony of this stunning species is going to be looking pretty smooth!
1st Instar Coproporus ventriculus Larva
DSC_0721 (2).JPG DSC_0729 (2).JPG DSC_0731 (2).JPG
As far as I'm aware, this is a first ever breeding of C.ventriculus in captivity!!! :D They seem to be doing very well considering the amount of larvae in the enclosure, but the real test lies in whether I can rear these guys to adulthood successfully, wish me luck! BTW sorry for the low-quality pictures, these guys are so tiny!

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Hypogastrura sp.
DSC_0740 (2).JPG DSC_0710 (2).JPG DSC_0738 (2).JPG
I found a large congregation of this species under a large decayed log at a local forest preserve. They don't seem to ever (or at least never want to) jump so collecting is extremely difficult, especially since they are extremely fragile and require a very soft paintbrush for safe removal from objects. I'm attempting to culture them, but apparently the sub-adults need cool temps in order for maturation to occur so I'll have to move them to a cool place in my house soon.
Orchesella villosa
DSC_0826 (2).JPG DSC_0832 (2).JPG DSC_0840 (2).JPG DSC_0851 (2).JPG DSC_0866 (2).JPG DSC_0876 (2).JPG
Baby :happy:
DSC_0862 (2).JPG
Isn't it just so cute!? This guy really tested the limits of the camera, it rivaled the C.ventriculus larva for the smallest invert that I've been able to take a photo of.
P.S I know that I already shared a few pics of the larger individuals of this species, but I was able to get some way better ones so why not?

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Orchesella cincta
DSC_0784 (2).JPG DSC_0804 (2).JPG DSC_0786 (2).JPG DSC_0779 (2).JPG
This beautiful Orchesella is only about 2/3 as large as its cousin, Orchesella villosa, but is still above average in size for a springtail. These guys display a nice, lime green stripe across the middle of their abdomen, which especially stands out in the stunning black morph.
Porcellio scaber"Orange"
DSC_0958 (3).JPG DSC_0960 (2).JPG DSC_0011 (2).JPG DSC_0956 (2).JPG DSC_0930 (2).JPG
Just received eight mancae of this beautiful, neon orange strain of P.scaber yesterday, can't wait until they get larger and develop even brighter coloration!

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Armadillidium maculatum
DSC_0897 (2).JPG DSC_0904 (2).JPG DSC_0885 (2).JPG DSC_0909 (2).JPG DSC_1000 (2).JPG DSC_1002 (2).JPG DSC_0922 (2).JPG DSC_1001 (2).JPG DSC_0998 (2).JPG DSC_0913 (2).JPG
Just received a batch of twelve young individuals, I'm hopeful that they'll do much better than my first individuals did(they all died out due to incorrect and varying moisture levels).

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Porcellionides virgatus
DSC_0196 (2).JPG DSC_0210 (2).JPG DSC_0227 (2).JPG DSC_0364 (2).JPG DSC_0371 (2).JPG
I'm psyched to finally have this species on my hands! Although this isopod displays cryptic coloration and dwarves its flashy relative, Porcellionides pruinosus, it is still capable of running at very fast speeds much like its cousin.
Rhyscotus texensis
DSC_0254 (2).JPG DSC_0260 (2).JPG DSC_0258 (2).JPG
I'm certainly happy to have this odd, small, slender, and fast-moving species in my collection! Apparently, these guys also breed like roaches! Unfortunately, these are one of the hardest isopods to take decent pics of, if they weren't small enough, their glossy bodies make it even more challenging.

9darlingcalvi

Arachnosquire
Porcellionides virgatus
View attachment 234466 View attachment 234467 View attachment 234468 View attachment 234469 View attachment 234470
I'm psyched to finally have this species on my hands! Although this isopod displays cryptic coloration and dwarves its flashy relative, Porcellionides pruinosus, it is still capable of running at very fast speeds much like its cousin.
Rhyscotus texensis
View attachment 234471 View attachment 234472 View attachment 234473
I'm certainly happy to have this odd, small, slender, and fast-moving species in my collection! Apparently, these guys also breed like roaches! Unfortunately, these are one of the hardest isopods to take decent pics of, if they weren't small enough, their glossy bodies make it even more challenging.
How do you keep you isopods? What do you feed them? Also how do you isolate and get the right colors that you want?

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
How do you keep you isopods? What do you feed them? Also how do you isolate and get the right colors that you want?
In depends on the species, but most of them just require a moist substrate(I usually use coconut fiber mixed with small chunks of rotten wood) and a layer of dead hardwood leaves(on top of the substrate).....they're that simple! lol Besides that I usually give mine some bark hides just for the heck of it and keep them in 6 qt Sterilite shoebox containers. :)
They will feed mostly on the dead leaves, but will also eat rotten wood and little bits of dog/fish food, fruits, and vegetables.
For isolating color morphs you are basically just going to want to isolate a few individuals that possess the coloration, patterning, etc. that you desire and if it's a recessive gene, some of their babies will end up with that same trait. If you continuously cull out those individuals each generation, you'll eventually end up with a population that breeds true, meaning that they only produce individuals that possess that desired trait. :) However, if the coloration, patterning, etc. is just environmentally related, you won't be able to isolate the trait no matter how hard you try.

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Agabiformius lentus
DSC_0274 (2).JPG DSC_0295 (2).JPG DSC_0300 (2).JPG DSC_0306 (2).JPG DSC_0312 (2).JPG
Picked up these along with the R.texensis, and P.virgatus through trade from @Lucanus95. Apparently, these little guys do much better when kept in cohabitation with large Blaberids due to the fact that they consume their frass and dead bodies. I don't currently have these guys set up with any of my roaches, but will be occasionally supplementing their substrate with roach frass to see if I can simulate cohabitation. One thing I love about this species is their body structure, it reminds me very much of that of Alloniscus perconvexus(which I also hope to acquire soon).
Haplophthalmus danicus
DSC_0341 (2).JPG DSC_0348 (2).JPG DSC_0344 (2).JPG DSC_0355 (2).JPG
A tiny, pale species that commonly occurs under loose bark on rotting logs at one of my collecting spots. I only knew of one person who was currently keeping them, but now I know of two(Alan Jeon), soon three(Kyle Kandilian), and including myself, four! Hopefully we'll be able to establish the captive husbandry for this interesting species!

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Trachelipus rathkii"Orange"
DSC_0460 (2).JPG DSC_0466 (2).JPG DSC_0449 (3).JPG DSC_0459 (2).JPG DSC_0454 (2).JPG I found two individuals(both of which seem to be female) of this gorgeous color morph at one of my most pristine collecting locations. This particular spot is rich in T.rathkii(and Dolomedes tenebrosus) so it was likely out of pure probability that I was able to find these out of the thousands of others I stumbled upon. Although I did hope to come back with a few "White Out" specimens, I guess these were fine too.;)
Philoscia muscorum
DSC_0399 (2).JPG DSC_0407 (2).JPG DSC_0397 (2).JPG DSC_0428 (2).JPG DSC_0417 (3).JPG
I am thrilled to finally have come across this marvelously ornate species! These isopods exhibit pops of neon yellow and orange like no other common species. Very, very unfortunately this isopod has yet to have been successfully cultured over multiple generations, but if it had been, it would easily be considered the most stunning U.S-naturalized species in the hobby. Despite the very finicky history of this species in captivity, I will do what I can to try and steadily breed them. :)

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Lucihormetica grossei
Male nymph
DSC_0837 (2).JPG DSC_0842 (2).JPG DSC_0854 (2).JPG DSC_0827 (2).JPG
Female nymph
DSC_0876 (2).JPG DSC_0859 (2).JPG DSC_0875 (2).JPG
Very excited to have been able to acquire this species, which dwarves the other two currently cultured species of Lucihormetica in both length and (at least with males) width! These guys are absolutely stunning even as nymphs having extremely glossy bodies and satin-red marked pronotums! Hopefully I'll have success breeding these rare and truly breathtaking glow spots!
Adroniscus dentiger
DSC_1018 (2).JPG DSC_1022 (2).JPG
A neat little subterranean, Hyloniscus/Trichoniscus look-alike that I received through trade as a "mystery" species from Kyle Kandilian. :)