Albino C. gracilis

ccamaleon3000

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i told john from the start that's generic and i have a pic of one of the babes that i own 3erd clutch's and now you see the results. here are the pic's whit my usb microscope enjoy and for the hate'ers get over ;P

Last edited:

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry to be reviving a thread, I'm just curious on how your C. gracilis are doing?

Reading the various posts before me, it does seem like the pinkish gracilis you have are a result of a genetic mutation thats being successfully passed on to their offspring. If it were just a random aberrant color mutation, you would only get 1 or 2 specimen from a clutch, and it's occurrence in later clutches will be random. You mentioned that the original female's first 2 clutches produced about 1/4 pink gracilis, that means the parents are both heterozygous for this trait. This also means not all the siblings of the pink gracilis are going to be heterozygous, a third of the normal colored siblings would be homozygous normal color. Have you bred them back to their parents? To siblings? What are the percentages of the pink ones and the normal ones?

I would, however, caution the use of the term 'albino' in this situation. Not because I don't believe your mutation is real or breeds true, but because 'albino' is a specific term for the inability of animals to produce of melanin. As stated before, a study has to be done to figure out what is going on with the lack of pigment in your gracilis.

Again, I am very interested in these findings. Seems like you are the very first to have discovered this mutation in scropions. :)

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
They are all doing well...raising the babies is rather neet seeing a mess of lil white scorps running around a tank at night....
I have to say the genetics are ...well to me proven....an 'albino' bred to another had all but one albino [an anomaly the dark one]....she has had another clutch on her back and all were light like her...the genetics are proven.....so far all the 66 % het for the trait are gravid.....it will be neet to see what happens.....eventually I'll offer up some more ....one other friend in Florida has some as does Juan have one....
They also look more light under a black light but that is to be expected with no dark pigment muddying up the 'shine'

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's really cool. Would you mind posting when the hets pop? I'd be very interested to know what percentage of the babies will be, as you say, 'albino'. :) Also, that's weird about the one normal baby in a clutch from 2 'albino' parents. An anomaly for sure. Maybe it's not a complete recessive? Maybe the mutation reverted back to wild-type?

Too bad I don't live in the states anymore, or else I'd be one of the first to jump on these when you offer them for sale. :p

They are all doing well...raising the babies is rather neet seeing a mess of lil white scorps running around a tank at night....
I have to say the genetics are ...well to me proven....an 'albino' bred to another had all but one albino [an anomaly the dark one]....she has had another clutch on her back and all were light like her...the genetics are proven.....so far all the 66 % het for the trait are gravid.....it will be neet to see what happens.....eventually I'll offer up some more ....one other friend in Florida has some as does Juan have one....
They also look more light under a black light but that is to be expected with no dark pigment muddying up the 'shine'