Airing my frustrations.

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
Correct. It was the pokie that was high fived!
I love c versicolor and I love bass guitar. But I ain't putting my regalis on my rickenbacker 4003 lol. Bet it made for a cool looking pic none the less.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Still love that picture!

P.metallica is basically a trap because of its colours. I have a calendar in my bathroom which has a page of pokies as well. When I show people that calendar, they freak out at first, until they see the pretty blue and yellow one.
Seriously. There's a page also of a C.versicolor which is all fluff and colour, but no, the P.metallica gets picked every single time. 'if I would ever get a Theraphosid, it would be that one'.
Then I tell them they picked one species that has potent venom, and the deal is off the table completely.
And they say I am the weird one....o_O

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
Still love that picture!

P.metallica is basically a trap because of its colours. I have a calendar in my bathroom which has a page of pokies as well. When I show people that calendar, they freak out at first, until they see the pretty blue and yellow one.
Seriously. There's a page also of a C.versicolor which is all fluff and colour, but no, the P.metallica gets picked every single time. 'if I would ever get a Theraphosid, it would be that one'.
Then I tell them they picked one species that has potent venom, and the deal is off the table completely.
Understandably hesitant to mess with a hot spider. But undeniably beautiful. Even people who hate spiders seem to like how poecs look. My brother always sh*ts on me keeping spiders. I showed him my regalis and pics of other poecs and he's like "yeah they're kinda elegant and pretty". I'm like yeah I already know lol. Then I show him my theraphosa stirmi female feed and he's like "maybe they're pretty cool".

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Understandably hesitant to mess with a hot spider. But undeniably beautiful. Even people who hate spiders seem to like how poecs look. My brother always sh*ts on me keeping spiders. I showed him my regalis and pics of other poecs and he's like "yeah they're kinda elegant and pretty". I'm like yeah I already know lol. Then I show him my theraphosa stirmi female feed and he's like "maybe they're pretty cool".
The Theraphosa pic in the same calendar actually scares most people off once I tell them how big they get.
I don't get why the versicolor isn't appreciated though. I mean, its fuzzy, colourful, not too big and fairly calm. Aside from the poop-cannon thing of course. But apparently, the 'hairs' are not appreciated on a spider...

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
The Theraphosa pic in the same calendar actually scares most people off once I tell them how big they get.
I don't get why the versicolor isn't appreciated though. I mean, its fuzzy, colourful, not too big and fairly calm. Aside from the poop-cannon thing of course. But apparently, the 'hairs' are not appreciated on a spider...
Yes I find that they are put off by prehistoric look of theraphosa. I personally find it beautiful as it is archaic. But when they see them come out a burrow and hunt down a prey some become fascinated

Yes I find that they are put off by prehistoric look of theraphosa. I personally find it beautiful as it is archaic. But when they see them come out a burrow and hunt down a prey some become fascinated
And I like versi too but I've always preferred that sleek athletic look of poecilotheria. I actually just got my first avic yesterday. A. Avic. Poecilotheria was my first arboreal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
And I like versi too but I've always preferred that sleek athletic look of poecilotheria. I actually just got my first avic yesterday. A. Avic. Poecilotheria was my first arboreal.
Ah, you jumped in the deep end :)
I like both, actually. I also have a T.violaceus which looks a bit like a cross over, :D sleek abdomen but fluffy legs. My first arboreal is an A.metallica, still have her. Only recently started keeping pokies, have a subfusca and an ornata now. Their growth rate is really absurd! They seem to grow faster even than a Gbb or a Psalmopoeus! I have both of them for three months now, the subfusca is around 4cm DLS, it has molted two times. The ornata was a 2FH sling and has molted three times already, and is now the same size as the subfusca. Crazy!

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
IMG_0667.JPG
Ah, you jumped in the deep end :)
I like both, actually. I also have a T.violaceus which looks a bit like a cross over, :D sleek abdomen but fluffy legs. My first arboreal is an A.metallica, still have her. Only recently started keeping pokies, have a subfusca and an ornata now. Their growth rate is really absurd! They seem to grow faster even than a Gbb or a Psalmopoeus! I have both of them for three months now, the subfusca is around 4cm DLS, it has molted two times. The ornata was a 2FH sling and has molted three times already, and is now the same size as the subfusca. Crazy!
Yes very fast growers. I am kinda getting into the avic look now. I honestly didnt appreciate them for a long time. They are definitely growing on me. For a long time I never thought I'd get an avic. And that's cool to hear about your poecs. I actually only have one right now mostly because of lack of space but she's a good one lol.

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
View attachment 273223
Yes very fast growers. I am kinda getting into the avic look now. I honestly didnt appreciate them for a long time. They are definitely growing on me. For a long time I never thought I'd get an avic. And that's cool to hear about your poecs. I actually only have one right now mostly because of lack of space but she's a good one lol.
I'm jealous though. One day I will have subfusca and ornata. Two of my favorites.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In this scenario the best case is the person gets bit by an OW due to their own stupidity and drops dead, survival of the fittest.

The planet doesn't need any more stupid than it already has. I hope this person hasn't bred providing offspring with more stupidity.

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
In this scenario the best case is the person gets bit by an OW due to their own stupidity and drops dead, survival of the fittest.

The planet doesn't need any more stupid than it already has. I hope this person hasn't bred providing offspring with more stupidity.
2 small children i believe according to the OP. While it's taken out and played with. Bad written all over it.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Tell you're going over to pick it up to take it to a vet that specializes in defanging tarantulas. Take it home and set it up in a proper enclosure. Confiscate it for the good of all living creatures involved here, then tell her it died in the operation. Win win for everyone.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Still love that picture!

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by this - I always show people C. versicolor when I'm trying to tell them how awesome tarantulas are and how beautiful they can be. Literally rainbow Ts! But I think they're turned off by the hairs, they don't see it as cute and fluffy :( I'll admit that P. metallica are undeniably beautiful, but I'm of the opinion that there are prettier tarantulas out there for cheaper prices and with better "attitudes".

Sincerely hope you can bring your mom's friend around, OP. That's the downside to displaying beautiful Ts on social media - people see a pretty spider and don't put thought into whether or not they should maybe research the species before deciding to get it. I'm less worried about her and more worried about the kids; seen one too many pictures and videos of less-than-intelligent individuals thinking it's a fun idea to put a spider on their child's head. Imagining a toddler getting tagged by a Poeci breaks my heart, especially when it's due to their parents' negligence.

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think most people automatically assume that the pet store isn't going to carry anything dangerous. And to some extent, they are correct. A P met obviously isn't on the same level as a venomous snake, or even Atrax, Phoneutria, or Sicarius, but that doesn't mean your day/ week/ month won't get wrecked if you get bit.