Agressive Tarantula's

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
David Burns said:
The T that I have that I will never let out or try to tranfer. The meanest T I own is a S.calceatum. It is a mature male and he basically flies around inside its container. He leaps at the flashlight when I shine it on the glass. When I spray water thru the lid, he leaps at the soure of the spray. He literally bounces around when I accidently disturb him. He scares the hell out of me. I have OBTs, C.crawshayi, H.lividums and Hysterocates spc., but I never want another one of these!!!
That was the funniest reply I have ever read! I love reading yall's descriptions! lmao

That sounds like a VERY INSANE ON CRACK SPIDER!

:p

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd say the craziest (as in most skittish and defensive) tarantulas have to be Selenocosmia species and Poecilotheria ornata !

Later,

Jake

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
My PERSONAL experience:

Haplopelmas are not at all defensive when removed from their habitat.

Pterinochilus murinus RCF are VERY FAST but only want to escape. When in their enclosure, the most defensive of all.

Pterinochilus murinus much more mellow than the RCF of the species.

H. gigas, same as Haplopelma.

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whenever I disturb my little psycho usambara, it bites it's cork bark shelter. Not just once, either, several times in a row. At the risk of anthropomorphizing the critter, it seems to attack out of frustration. It is certainly smart enough to know that the cork bark is NOT a threat.

Karen N.

emilsmee

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm gonna vote for my H. lividum, she's downright evil. i own t's that are supposed to be more aggressive, such as a Citharischius crawshayi, Theraphosa apophysis, and Chilobrachys huahini (to name a few), but none have made an attempt on my life like the WC female cobalt i have, lol. so i'm gonna give her the top spot. and of tarantulas that i own, second oddly enough is my G. aureostriata. she kicks hair at everyone, especially when she's out of her enclosure. and she's pretty quick too.
she's not the worst tarantula ever, but the meanest G. aureostriata. she wins second place because i never expected her to be aggressive, unlike all the other types everyones listed.

emilsmee

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My experiense,
P. murinus "usambara", like everyone else says, is the king psycho.. nice looking but nervous as hell... bites everything when frightend hehe.. calm while taking her nightly walk around though...

my T. blondi is not really defensive or nervous, but A. minatrix and C. cyano is nervous..
al the otherones are calm and i have never seen a defensive pose from any of mine (exept the "usambara" of course :p)
P. irminia is just quick, not a defensive sp. but only runs quick when frightend..

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the ones i own i would say

P. murinus
C. brachycephalus
H. minax (this is the one that really scares me)

also H.lividum

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah of course:
1. Pterinochilus murinus
2. Citharischius crawshayi

But I once had a
3. Chilobrachys huahini
that was very very pissy

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
while i totally agree with P. murinus usambara and H. lividum, my G. rosea ia evil. definitly my T. blondi.

kristin

Citharischius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
RichardDegville said:
lol yeh Ceratogyrus sp are defensive but until you have owen these sp

1. Citharischius crawshayi aka king baboon

2. haplopelma sp vietnam

3. Pterinochilus murinus both momasa and usambara

many you havent seen a defensive tarantula lol
I have these 3 tarantula's . All adult female . (except the haplopelma)
and mine are not defensive at all ! I've never seen them doing something defensive . My Chilobrachys huahini on the other side is a nasty girl .

Topcat1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Seems like alot of people are voting for Haplopelmas. I have no experience with Minax T's, but I understand they're worse than the Lividum. Either way, my Lividum has got to be on that list. Mainly because he kills..... everything he sees.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well... for the tarantulas that i own i would have to vote...
1. H. Lividium.. this spider is downright evil! I put her in the fridge for 15 minutes and it did hardly anything, you slightly blow in her cage and she will run up and strike at that corner of the cage, she scares the <edit> out of me on a regular basis!!!
2. P. Murinus/P. Lugardi... Not sure which mine is, but its the lighter colored variety, its grease lightning, will throw threat displays left and right, but im still a lot more comfortable in its cage than i am in my H. Lividiums cage!!!
3. A. Seemanni... This spider rivals my OBT, it will never back down to anything, it will just raise its legs and stick its fangs out and make repeated attempts to bite you. Its so nasty that im almost wondering if this is maybe a "skeleton" or another species altogether, never seen an A. Seemanni so mean!!! I guess it just proves its not necessarely the species but the tarantula itself! ;P

Last edited by a moderator:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
pokiecollector said:
What do you think is the 3 most agressive tarantula's ? just want to know other members opinions...i think usambra orange, skeleton tarantula, and cobalt blue...thanks...

jeff
no offense intended...but I really do not understand these types of questions, well, not the questions but the answers. Unless someone has kept darn near every type of T out there how can they honestly say which they think are the most defensive? You can say that of the species you have kept, you found that species X was the most defensive...but you can't really compare it to those you have not kept or those only kept for a very short period of time.

I would venture that dealers or those who keep a ton of T's in their collection are going to give you the more accurate answers, but as was mentioned...there's always individual personalities that may fly in the face of what is expected from a certain species.

Unless someone has kept a bunch of the species known for their defensiveness, it's like someone who owns a Ford Taurus and a Chevy Impala, never having owned a Camaro SS or any other high HP vehicle, sitting there arguing with a Mustang GT owner who has also owned a Camaro SS and a Firebird Formula of similar years that the Camaro is faster (this is purely hearsay, just for an example...personally, I can't stand Ford). It's absurd...pure and simple...it's like a virgin trying to tell someone else which position is better for sex. {D As I said, no offense to anyone who has answered...but I would take the responses with a grain of salt unless it is someone who has had a good bit of experience with all kinds of baboons, pokies, and the more defensive NW's out there.

My OBT was a scaredy-cat...always running to it's burrow rather than rear up, hiss, or strike (unless you really really really prodded at it and it couldn't hide), quite similar to a lot of other people's on this board. Don't get me wrong, they can and will be very defensive if they have to be but I hear worse stories about H. lividums, C. crawsayshi's (sp?), H. minax's, etc. I wouldn't put the OBT in the top three...but that's because of my limited experience with them (and I have no intent on getting any more Pterino's).

Zeus9699

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Meanie

My most aggressive tarantula has to be my adult female Haplopelma minax

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd have to say my H. Lividum as well. Meanest thing I've ever owned.

Honestly though, I hold most of my animals , and the Scolopendra Subspinipes (vietnamese pede ) and H. Lividum both are the only ones that frightened me with aggressiveness.

Second would be my C. Crawshayi because hes only 2.5 - 3 inch legspan but hisses at you. Can't wait for him/her to grow :)

GootyGuy

Arachnopeon
i was given 2 H. Lividum for my birthday a few years ago. All i knew of them at the time was that they were blue. I learned about the quick nasty attitude the hard way. These 2 T's are still the ones that scare me the most out of my collection.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no offense intended...but I really do not understand these types of questions, well, not the questions but the answers. Unless someone has kept darn near every type of T out there how can they honestly say which they think are the most defensive? You can say that of the species you have kept, you found that species X was the most defensive...but you can't really compare it to those you have not kept or those only kept for a very short period of time.

I would venture that dealers or those who keep a ton of T's in their collection are going to give you the more accurate answers, but as was mentioned...there's always individual personalities that may fly in the face of what is expected from a certain species.

Unless someone has kept a bunch of the species known for their defensiveness, it's like someone who owns a Ford Taurus and a Chevy Impala, never having owned a Camaro SS or any other high HP vehicle, sitting there arguing with a Mustang GT owner who has also owned a Camaro SS and a Firebird Formula of similar years that the Camaro is faster (this is purely hearsay, just for an example...personally, I can't stand Ford). It's absurd...pure and simple...it's like a virgin trying to tell someone else which position is better for sex. {D As I said, no offense to anyone who has answered...but I would take the responses with a grain of salt unless it is someone who has had a good bit of experience with all kinds of baboons, pokies, and the more defensive NW's out there.

My OBT was a scaredy-cat...always running to it's burrow rather than rear up, hiss, or strike (unless you really really really prodded at it and it couldn't hide), quite similar to a lot of other people's on this board. Don't get me wrong, they can and will be very defensive if they have to be but I hear worse stories about H. lividums, C. crawsayshi's (sp?), H. minax's, etc. I wouldn't put the OBT in the top three...but that's because of my limited experience with them (and I have no intent on getting any more Pterino's).

Way to get technical lol....

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've owned 3 adult female H. Lividum and never seen anything special from them.

One is almost apathic, one is invisible and has never ever left it's opening to the burrow as far as I know, and never hung around to show any defensivness whatsoever. The last one didn't care much during maintence. But might show fiestyness if provoked. But I don't have a habit of provoking my animals.

My juvie Rosea is quicker to bite, run, or whatever action.

K1j1m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

I think when he said what do you "Think" that he was basing everything off opinions. Not sure why this needed a giant block of text lol.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
um, let this dead horse die.

This is a 4 year old thread, and you're all commenting on a post that is from 2006.