Aggresive / Defensive stance

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
DC-get over it. If you want us to believe that your T was a monster for no reason just to make you look like you're a Big Man, then fine. Anyone that has to continually argue this point is obviously feeling insecure and trying to make up for it. If it makes you feel better, keep on believing it. If you truly cared about the future of the hobby, you would not go around saying any T was aggressive, because the general public opinion is already bad enough.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DC-get over it. If you want us to believe that your T was a monster for no reason just to make you look like you're a Big Man, then fine. Anyone that has to continually argue this point is obviously feeling insecure and trying to make up for it. If it makes you feel better, keep on believing it. If you truly cared about the future of the hobby, you would not go around saying any T was aggressive, because the general public opinion is already bad enough.
If this ain't a callout? Then I don't know what one is!

WS6Lethal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you left the cage open, I doubt it would hunt you down in the night. Your T sounds like it is not just defending its home, but the land around it as well... like a ranch.

Ba8ee

Arachnopeon
My T has neva given me the aggresive stance. Its a good girl. So i wouldnt have a clue wot the differance is. Wouldn't mind a bad tempered one as my next T.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow. A flood of posts on this one...

Anyhow, both terms really depend on your point of view. You, being the large animal intruding on your Ts home, may think you are being friendly and helpful yet your T sees your intrusion as an act of aggression so it will defend itself and it's home.

Going back to the home invasion analogy. You standing in front of your home and telling me to stay away can be, very loosely, termed defending your home. Defense suggests a more physical involvement than just yelling from your doorstep.

The big problem is that people get confused when it comes to aggression and anger and think they are synonymous. Your anger directed at me trespassing on your property would be viewed as aggression, by me, while you view my trespass as aggression towards you. If I had trespassed simply to retrieve a ball that had somehow gotten on your property, however, I would think I was doing nothing wrong.

Incidentally, the police would view it the same way. You wouldn't tell the police you were being aggressive towards me, now would you? You were mearly defending yourself and your family... ;)

To use an extreme anaolgy; During the holocaust countless Jews were forced into prison camps. Had a Nazi officer brought a meal to a prisoner and that prisoner attacked the officer, would that prisoner be deemed aggressive or defensive? Sure, aggression may be necessary for proper defense, but the proper term due to the motive for the attack would be defense. Aggression is more used for unprovoked attacks.

In short, aggressive? defensive? It all depends what side of the fangs you're on. Since we are the ones that have forced these creatures to live in an unnatural environment and interact with us, I prefer to see things from their point as often as possible.

YES, I would call that aggression. If I were to stand in front of my house and tell you NOT to come any closer, that would be defensive.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Defensive/Aggressive who cares? With certain very snarky specimens it really is splitting hairs.

I think that it's better for the hobby if we all get hip to using the word defensive in these cases. It helps defuse public perception of tarantulas as dangerous, vicious creatures. It's detrimental to us all to get too hung up on how mean a T can be. I'd rather hear talk about other interesting behaviors and things like molts, enclosures, breeding and all that instead of how this or that T wants to "rip your face off".

Of course that's just my opinion...

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very well put.

Defensive/Aggressive who cares? With certain very snarky specimens it really is splitting hairs.

I think that it's better for the hobby if we all get hip to using the word defensive in these cases. It helps defuse public perception of tarantulas as dangerous, vicious creatures. It's detrimental to us all to get too hung up on how mean a T can be. I'd rather hear talk about other interesting behaviors and things like molts, enclosures, breeding and all that instead of how this or that T wants to "rip your face off".

Of course that's just my opinion...

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When I think of these two terms very different things come to mind. Aggressive decribes feeding behaviors.

John

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is another issue with squabbling over terms. Context can drastically change the perception of a term.

Aggressive can be used to any number of things not related to the violent context of the word. For example, I could be aggressively buy tarantula species...

When I think of these two terms very different things come to mind. Aggressive decribes feeding behaviors.

John

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I have enough split hairs on my head, no need to add more here!! If you do a search, you will find we've discussed this exact point ad nauseum with the same results each time. We are divided into two groups, one who thinks there's no big problem using the terms interchangeably and one who thinks that the literal meaning of the words is of utmost importance.

In the end, we agree to disagree. And a year later, it starts all over again in a new thread.

That said, I'm going swimming.:D

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Agreed. There are a few topics that always end this way. E_town is right though. Using the term aggressive to describe tarantulas only hurts the hobby and promotes the perception of big bad spiders that alienates us from the uneducated masses.

I have enough split hairs on my head, no need to add more here!! If you do a search, you will find we've discussed this exact point ad nauseum with the same results each time. We are divided into two groups, one who thinks there's no big problem using the terms interchangeably and one who thinks that the literal meaning of the words is of utmost importance.

In the end, we agree to disagree. And a year later, it starts all over again in a new thread.

That said, I'm going swimming.:D

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Defensive or aggressive?:confused:
That is the question!:D
Does one have a definitive answer?:eek:
Without being suggestive?:wall: