Age of 5" Emperor scorps?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm allowed to spend a bunch of my holiday moneys on "bugs" this year, huzzah! First and foremost I've got my eyes on a couple tarantulas (greenbottle blue and a chaco), but if I order from Botar (who has my chosen spider species, albeit slightly more expensive than elsewhere), he's also got 5" emperor scorpions for $15.

How old are these likely to be? I want to get a good few years out of 'em, hopefully. :)

Also, I know everyone's opinion differs, but how many emps could do in a ten-gallon aquarium? Plenty of hides, all that.

micjoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These scorps: Grow up to 6-8" , give or take, and can live around 8-10 years depending.
Id say they are a couple years old, try to give us a pic.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
micjoe said:
These scorps: Grow up to 6-8" , give or take, and can live around 8-10 years depending.
Id say they are a couple years old, try to give us a pic.
http://botarby8s.com/images/scorpions/pimperator2.jpg

Is the only scorp pic there, I dunno how much you can tell from that, but there it is. :)

Roughly a couple years old with potentially 4-6 years left is pretty awesome, about what I'll get from a tarantula that grows up male. Here's hoping I find myself enjoying it enough that I continue adding to the family. :D

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
At 5" they are probably already mature adults and age is very difficult to determine if they were not captive raised/born.

John
];')

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I concur, 5" from chelicerae to aculeus (metasoma out-stretched) is a common mature size for Pandinus imperator. Anything bigger than that is considered large to very large.

Potential lifespan from this point (assuming the scorps are mature) would depend on how long since the scorp lasted molted, and even then impossible to accurately determine due to a variety of reasons.

Typically speaking (as ever with scorpions) you are likely to get atleast 3 to 4 years out of a specimen. Or as many as 10 or 12 years (or more !?) with this widely reportedly long lived species.