AGB fungus: help?

theperfecta

Arachnopeon
I've had a male AGB millipede for the last year, and in the last six or so months he's developed visible fungus on his head and the legs behind. I've read that this is a species-specific occurrence, and that the best bet to treating it is generic fungal medicine. I'm not sure what I've done wrong with him- his substrate is changed every five or so months, a composite blend from bugsincyberspace, when the bottom of the substrate begins to dry out I add more water, and the temperature in the house never drops below 72 degrees. He's got a small heat pad on one side of his tank (ten gallon, about twice as long as he is) to create a gradient, and his substrate is plenty deep for burrowing. He has leaf litter, and I try to give him a bit of cucumber every once in a while as a treat. I'm going to order him a clean up crew of isopods or springtails when the weather warms up, but beyond that I have no idea what I can do to help the poor guy.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong, or what is causing this fungus? My last AGB, who was purchased from the same place, had it as well, and she unfortunately passed away. I'm very worried for him, because the medicine doesn't seem to be helping to control or lessen the fungus, and I hate for this beautiful animal to suffer.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Is it an adult? I think it is common for an adult AGB and certainly not an indication you have done anything wrong. Sounds like all you are doing is fine. I believe it is a sign of old age and impending death. I had a female that had it for 3 years. She never had it on her head, just the back half of her body. I used a 1% Clotrimazole cream (used for athletes' foot). I put it on every 3-4 days for about 4 treatments. It disappeared for a few months but came back. Every time it came back, I treated her again and it would go away for a few months. Eventually, it came back quicker and ultimately she died. I put a little on my finger and rubbed down both sides and back up to get under her segments. I was careful to avoid ozopores; although I am sure I got some there. Use it at you own risk; I didn't look at anything under a microscope and just tried this as a last ditch effort. I was sure she was already dying so wanted to try it. I would never put it on her head. Maybe just a dot. Scary. I don't think it can be cured and is more of a signal than a disease. Good luck.

theperfecta

Arachnopeon
Is it an adult? I think it is common for an adult AGB and certainly not an indication you have done anything wrong. Sounds like all you are doing is fine. I believe it is a sign of old age and impending death. I had a female that had it for 3 years. She never had it on her head, just the back half of her body. I used a 1% Clotrimazole cream (used for athletes' foot). I put it on every 3-4 days for about 4 treatments. It disappeared for a few months but came back. Every time it came back, I treated her again and it would go away for a few months. Eventually, it came back quicker and ultimately she died. I put a little on my finger and rubbed down both sides and back up to get under her segments. I was careful to avoid ozopores; although I am sure I got some there. Use it at you own risk; I didn't look at anything under a microscope and just tried this as a last ditch effort. I was sure she was already dying so wanted to try it. I would never put it on her head. Maybe just a dot. Scary. I don't think it can be cured and is more of a signal than a disease. Good luck.
Thank you so much! I'll probably try what you did, right now i'm using a liquid so i can just put a drop on the affected area, but its so close to his head that i worry... but I'm not sure what else I can do! Thanks for the reply! <3