After molt

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
A Poecilotheria for your first T? Interesting choice....be very careful and don't let your guard down. They're a lot faster than you think.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
Amazing colors. Beautiful specimen. I can’t wait until my B hamorii slings starts getting more color. I have a mature C lividus Cobalt Blue who is in her first pre-molt for me. I can’t wait to see her new skin in a few weeks or months. Can Any C lividus keepers let me know how long they average pre-molt? Hopefully not as long as my Aphonopelma seemanni. That guy was in his burrow 5 months before molting.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Amazing colors. Beautiful specimen. I can’t wait until my B hamorii slings starts getting more color. I have a mature C lividus Cobalt Blue who is in her first pre-molt for me. I can’t wait to see her new skin in a few weeks or months. Can Any C lividus keepers let me know how long they average pre-molt? Hopefully not as long as my Aphonopelma seemanni. That guy was in his burrow 5 months before molting.
Pre-molt times vary based on many factors, especially temperature.

Hamzaad

Arachnopeon
A Poecilotheria for your first T? Interesting choice....be very careful and don't let your guard down. They're a lot faster than you think.
1st choice because I'm used to handling
Thanks for the advice this past year I caught and handled 3 cotton mouth,1eastern diamondback,and 1 copperhead

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer

Thanks for the advice this past year I caught and handled 3 cotton mouth,1eastern diamondback,and 1 copperhead
I’ve owned quite a few snakes and have worked with venomous snakes in South America, India and Pakistan. None of which prepared me for the speed of an OW T, it’s a different kind of fast. Note that cotton mouths and copperheads are a bit on the slow side and more of the ‘docile’ venomous snakes, but I digress, tarantulas are a different level if that makes sense. I would never handle any OW T (or any NW one willingly) no matter how docile they are.

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Can we make this a sticky to show new people exactly the type of mindset NOT to have?

Sorry kiddo, no one is impressed.

Tarantulas shouldn't be handled because they are fragile and handling poses multiple risks with zero reward for the spider. Comparing capturing hots to handling a T is nonsense. I'll tail Crotalus all day long, but I am not going to cuddle my Pokie. If you can't understand why they are two completely different things, you need to do a lot of research on T keeping.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Not irrelevant when the post was referring to there speed I guess those species of snake aren't fast but ok sure
You could be the best snake wrangler in the world, that does not in anyway translate to tarantulas.

Check out the Poecilotheria bite reports, you might think twice about handling afterwards.