1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After fasting for 2 years, guess how many roaches it eats?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by dban, Jun 8, 2009.

1. dban

dban Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Ok I'll tell you, NINE! ALL AT ONCE!

My 5" G rosea just stuffed itself after a 2 year fast.

It might've eaten more but I decided 9 is a good enough start :clap:

You can't see them all but all the 9 roaches are there still waving their antennae.

[​IMG]

What's the most you've seen your tarantulas eat at once?

2. Brian F.

Brian F. Arachnobaron Old Timer

Just out of curiosity, what species of roach are these?

3. I watched my little 3' rosie eat 7 at once. It was awesome. Her fangs were full, but she still tried to stuff herself with more anyway.

4. dban

dban Arachnopeon

B lateralis

5. Sathane

Sathane Arachnoking

Whoa! Have you every tried riding that rosie? ;)

6. BrynWilliams

BrynWilliams Arachnoprince

Out of interest did it moult in that time?

7. seanbond

seanbond Arachnoking

so u just kept tossing them in and stopped at 9?

8. And then you ask why it doesn't eat for 2 years!

9. Sathane

Sathane Arachnoking

Obviously she was hungry but I do have to concur with Radamanthys' sentiment. Regardless of how long a specimen has gone without eating, I still feed based on abdomen size. If she was still plump I would have only offered a few.

Not saying that my method is the only proper way but a very plump abdomen is more susceptible to damage.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  10. jme

jme Arachnobaron

Dont forget to add if the abdomen is to big the T might not be able to molt properly ;)

11. blix

blix Arachnosquire

Damn 2 years is a long time, I don't think my nerves could handle that, I would be worried sick. Did you take a picture of it's abdomen before it began eating? I would like to see how it looked after a 2 year fasting.

12. Dave

Dave Arachnobaron

LOL LOL First thing I noticed too! {D

13. Sathane

Sathane Arachnoking

;) I don't even want to think about how much damage a T that size could do.

14. jbm150

jbm150 Arachnoprince

Thats nuts, she's a little monster! After all that, she may not eat again for another 2 years. As bryn mentioned, did she molt before or during the fast?

15. that's pretty nuts!

how can 9 fit? its like trying to stuff 9 big macs into our human mouths!

16. Paramite

Paramite Arachnoprince

I like to feed more than 10 full grown crickets to my T. blondi at once. It's fun to watch, when she has a huge moving cricket ball in her mouth. Needless to say, I don't feed her very often...

17. dban

dban Arachnopeon

During the whole 2 years, amazingly, she was fat and still active webbing up everything. I made a thread about it a few days ago with the title 2 years. I still don't get it :?

And I've never seen her molt in her 2 years with me.

Rosies are crazy

18. Jackuul

Jackuul Arachnoknight

Have you ever been to a McD's at lunchtime? I've seen them downed consecutively, and two at a time. I am sure someone could do 9 (competition eaters etc).

19. >///< You know what I meant.

20. dantediss

dantediss Arachnoknight

Most crix iv fed was 15 and it was on accident..Feeding an 8in plus lp i was speed feeding crix..Dumping from a pinch point pet store bag ,Accidently slipped and dumped 15 ( i counted ) in,didnt have time to get them out ,The lp was already chowing them,needless too say she didnt eat the rest of the month : )