African Spitting Thick Tailed Scorpion: Parabuthis transvaalicus

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey i just barley got my first few Scorps and i dont try getting a scrop like this for a while i just wanted someone to give me alittle info on them in case i do decide to buy one the next year or so

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Obviously a very venomous scorpion and not one who's sting should be taken, by any means, lightly. As well as the ability to spray venom in a misting manner up to quite a distance according to many people requiring the use of safety goggles at all times with them. Easy to keep as far as it's habitat goes, being a scrubland species. Their humidity levels are right around the 55-60% range (at least, that's what I keep mine at, but I have heard many people keep them at a slightly higher range, nearing the 70% area). Temp should stay between 76 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit with drops during the winter time and the low I mentioned before, being the nighttime. They are best kept on sand, being as it allows them to burrow, but sand is not the requirement for this scorpion because they are opportunistic burrowers and will only do so with the chance already being there. I choose to enable mine to do so because it helps lower the risks of mites as well as stress. My recommendation is to start with something of the sorts of Centruroides, etc., before working with a scorpion with this kind of capeability.

adios,
edw. :D

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
thank you for the reply

im curious with the mist or whatever that they shoot will it make u go blind?? and what happens if it gets on ur skin???

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Reports have stated that it has apparently had no adverse effects upon contacting the skin, but the eyesight has be said to be effected tremendously by the venom. It is said that it can cause temporary blindness and if not immediately cleansed, can cause permanent blindness.

adios,
edw. :D

Reply to next post:

N/P!
adios,
edw.

Last edited:

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
wow...not get struck in the eyes by one of those suckers would seriously suck...anywayz thanks for the info dude (Y)