1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on a couple enclosures

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by WolfSoon, Nov 12, 2017.

1. WolfSoon

WolfSoon Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    I put a hold on a ~2.5" DLS Avicularia metallica at a decent pet store, and I'm wondering how this enclosure looks (other than a little funky ). I know top opening enclosures aren't ideal for Avics, but I had this jar and wanted to give it a shot. I added the feeder depository so I won't have to disturb it too often. I also am gluing some leaves at the top to hopefully create a canopy it can web underneath instead of webbing onto the lid ['optimistic' rainbows incoming?].

IMG-1195.JPG IMG-1189.JPG

I'd also appreciate some input on these 2.5" acrylic boxes for my ~1/4" Euathlus slings that are currently in condiment cups. I set these up a while back because I didn't like opening and closing the condiment cups and wanted something with hard plastic. I also like that they're clear all over while my condiment cups are opaque except for the lid. I've gotten used to the cups by now, and although the slings dart around during opening and closing, it's just a momentary stressor. I still like these acrylic boxes though and and am wondering if it's worth it to rehouse them or if it would just be unnecessary stress on the slings. Thanks for any advice!

IMG-1183.JPG IMG-1187.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    I'd add some substrate and a water dish to the bottom of the Avic enclosure but other than that it looks good to me.

I would remove about half of the substrate from the acrylic boxes to use them for your Euathlus slings. Having the extra substrate to lid space will make it easier when working with them and they are really in no fall danger at that size.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. WolfSoon

Ok thanks! I currently have even less vertical space for my Euathlus slings and thought they seemed a little cramped.

I will add substrate and a dish in the Avic enclosure. I’m just letting it air out as much as possible before I bring the spider home. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Trenor

NC
    A lot of people do this and end up with the tarantulas trying to run out when they open them. Giving more airspace helps a lot with the jack-in-a-box behavior. At that size, they are not going to be hurt from a few inches of falling. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. WolfSoon

Haha that’s a good description. I’m lucky that these slings prefer to just run around their cups rather than out, but I always have a tiny catch cup ready just in case. :D At any rate that’s good to know about slings in general.
    Is it because tiny slings are so light that fall injury isn’t so much a risk? I hadn’t thought about it. I love learning stuff on here. :)

6. Thekla

Thekla Arachnopeon Active Member

Until which size of the sling that kind of fall wouldn't be too harmful? I ask, because I actually just put even more substrate into my newly arrived 1" sling's (also E. sp red) enclosure yesterday. It kept wandering around and trying to climb the top lid, and fell down a few times, right on its behind/back. It didn't seem very talented. :rolleyes: But now, that it has only one inch (so 1x DLS) to the top, it's not trying to climb any longer. I know it'll be a pain in the neck to feed it and do maintenance, but I was just worried it would hurt itself.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trenor

NC
    I've not tossed tarantulas about testing anything but I have been around a lot of other inverts bugs and such that have been jumpy. I've seen some take a decent spill and be fine. Does that translate well to tarantulas? Some, IMO I think slings can handle more of a fall than adults. So the bigger (and plumper) they get the more you have to worry about especially terrestrials. I have had a MM pokie dive from the top of a 5-gallon tank (on its side) roughly 16ish inches to the ground when the female came out too fast. I know that this is an arboreal species so that is something to keep in mind. But he had been fed really heavy and was quite plump. It landed with a light thump and a min or two later was working his way back up to the female with no issues.

What I tend to do is give my slings more headroom and as they move to larger sizes (and depending on the species) I move closer to 1.5 DLS for heavy terrestrials. My baboons have been strong webbers so if they have most of the headroom filled with webbing I'm not as concerned. If it's a low webber with a big abdomen then I limit the headroom (within reason). No T should be in an enclosure that has small amounts of headroom. You just end up with hair kickers and angry Ts because they never settle in from all the disturbance. My OW Ts rarely throw threat poses and most of my NW kick hairs when I rehouse and rarely during normal care. I don't have to fight webbed up lids much which also disturbs the Ts less when giving more headroom.

Of course, this is just my thoughts on things and other people may have great luck other ways.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. WolfSoon

Yay, my first optimistic rainbow. ;)

I had one more kinda random enclosure question. Has anyone ever used one of these plastic spice jar type containers to house a small arboreal sling, or are there any obvious issues with using one? I like that you can open part of the lid or unscrew the whole thing. I’d add plenty of side ventilation and all that good stuff.
    There’s also a ~1/4” Y. diversipes sling I’m considering. The addiction has hit hard. :rolleyes:

48A258D6-2586-4A94-A1A8-5B96BA9AE120.jpeg

9. Thekla

Thekla Arachnopeon Active Member

@Trenor Thanks for the explanation. :) I'm still very new to the hobby and appreciate every info I can get. Although I'm still not sure if I did right with my little guy, but in the end I'm just glad he won't suffer any severe falls for the moment. And it seems he settled in quite nicely, he finally found his hide (after 1 1/2 days) and is now sitting in the entrance and is grooming himself into oblivion. :D Tomorrow, I'm gonna try to feed him, let's see how this goes. :rolleyes:

@WolfSoon I like it! My only concern would be, that you won't see the sling if it sits somewhere on the top when it's feeding/maintenance time. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trenor

NC
    It should work fine as long as you have enough ventilation. I usually go for inverted AMAC boxes since these and Avics tend to go up and web. It makes it easier wot work with IMO.

Here are the setups I like to use and they come in a number of sizes to fit your needs.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. WolfSoon

Yeah that does seem like a concern. The black lid covers up a lot of space for a tiny sling to hide under. Too bad I’ve never seen one of these with a clear top.

12. WolfSoon

Oh yeah I actually have my versicolor in an inverted AMAC box. Your set up looks very nice. :) I’ve seen the tiny vertical AMAC boxes but wasn’t sure I could melt small enough ventilation holes. I guess I managed it with the Euathlus boxes (I hope!).

13. Trenor

NC
    I've had better luck drilling the vent holes in hard plastic like AMAC boxes. You can get smaller holes with a shrap drill bit.

14. WolfSoon

Do you think a 1/16” bit would be small enough for a 1/4” sling? I took a gander at its carapace size in the store and I think it would probably be ok, but I’m not experienced with that kind of size eyeballing. Sorry for all the questions. :shy:

15. Trenor

NC
    I usually just eyeball it but a 1/16th should be tiny enough for true spider babies IMO.

Don't worry about the questions. I don't mind helping people get started.

• Like Like x 1
  16. WolfSoon

Great! I think I’ll go pick up a little AMAC box tomorrow. Thanks for all your help! :)

P.S. It was pretty hard to get this little guy to climb downwards into his enclosure, but after some prolonged herding, success!

0EB95DCC-A487-4C63-BC30-06874E0A6545.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

I'd recommend learning with one fragile spider at a time. No need to waste money and spiders because you can't wait. diversipes will always be around.

18. WolfSoon

True..something to consider. You think I’ll be putting the diversipes sling at risk even with care advice from AB?

19. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

Not really. Just depends how comfortable you are with small slings with relatively poor appetite.

20. WolfSoon

I feel pretty comfortable with my Euathlus slings now, and they don’t have a very big appetite. It’s actually the tiny sling-ness that drew me to the diversipes. I find slings really interesting and would like to have an arboreal one. I assume the diversipes is much faster and more prone to bolting out of the enclosure than my Euathlus slings so that’s one concern I have.

I appreciate the honesty by the way.