Advice needed for a rescued Avic

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I really don't know what's going on with the lungs, but the way she holds her abdomen might have something to do with general weakness - the abdomen is hanging downwards, because the spider is too weak to keep it in the "right" position. I've heard about something like that from some Cupiennius (true spiders), but I think it may apply to other arboreals, too. I'm not sure, though, but from the pics I'd say it doesn't look good. I'm sorry that I'm not more helpful in a more positive way.
Didn't even notice the T was on a vertical piece of wood, thought the angle of the pic was just weird. What ^she said makes more sense OP.

Butt up in the air though can also be a defensive posture. Avics usually do it before launching feces or attempting to rub it's urticating hairs on whatever it's afraid of.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Didn't even notice the T was on a vertical piece of wood, thought the angle of the pic was just weird. What ^she said makes more sense OP.

Butt up in the air though can also be a defensive posture. Avics usually do it before launching feces or attempting to rub it's urticating hairs on whatever it's afraid of.

I am wondering if whatever is inflaming the book lungs is responsible for causing it to hold its abdomen in the air.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I am wondering if whatever is inflaming the book lungs is responsible for causing it to hold its abdomen in the air.
It's possible I'm sure, but I think like boina said, it's most likely just weak. It really looks like a mature male IMO, doesn't explain the book lungs though. The whole T looks rough, so maybe the book lung issue is just a side effect of an expiring MM. It would really be nice if OP got us some pedipalp pics.

Kinda wondering too if there's some stuck shed over the book lungs and pedicel. There's definitely what looks to be some kind of fluid near the pedicel in the pics.

Last edited:

keks

Arachnobaron
I can translate if you like
I will try it, and contact you when I fail :) .

It's possible I'm sure, but I think like boina said, it's most likely just weak. It really looks like a mature male IMO, doesn't explain the book lungs though. The whole T looks rough, so maybe the book lung issue is just a side effect of an expiring MM. It would really be nice if OP got us some pedipalp pics.

Kinda wondering too if there's some stuck shed over the book lungs and pedicel. There's definitely what looks to be some kind of fluid near the pedicel in the pics.
So it is possible, that this disease could result from an incorrect molt, such a long time afterwards? But in a mechanical injury?
I must confess that the pics are confusing me, I can't see anything :bag: :wacky:.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That looks like a Mature male... I can't see the palps but the rest of the leg structure and missing hairs is screaming mature male at the end of his rope..

I was also thinking along the lines as @Ghost56 about the inflammation around the book lungs.. It almost looks like some of the old exo was left behind with it's last molt..

AssassinBug

Arachnopeon
My friend who breeds T's came over last night to take a look. My T has lost a lot of its ventral hairs, and based on what we can see now my friend thinks the T actually is a mature male. When we examined the exuvium several months ago, there was what really appeared to be spermathecae, but the exuvium had been munched on a little bit and that made it hard to be sure. Seeing the consensus in this thread, MM seems likely. I just need more practice sexing T's!
His mobility issues are likely due to maturity (I assume). His book lungs are definitely infected, though. There's a white fluid leaking from the posterior lung on his right side. I'm a biologist with access to a microbiology lab, so I am going to try to culture a bit of the fluid to see if it's bacterial. Even if it is a bacterial infection, is there anything I can really do for him?

Last edited:

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
My friend who breeds T's came over last night to take a look. My T has lost a lot of its ventral hairs, and based on what we can see now my friend thinks the T actually is a mature male. When we examined the exuvium several months ago, there was what really appeared to be that distinctive "flap" the females have, but the exuvium had been munched on a little bit and that made it hard to be sure. Seeing the consensus in this thread, MM seems likely.
His mobility issues are likely due to maturity (I assume). His book lungs are definitely infected, though. There's a white fluid leaking from the posterior lung on his right side. I'm a biologist with access to a microbiology lab, so I am going to try to culture a bit of the fluid to see if it's bacterial. Even if it is a bacterial infection, is there anything I can really do for him?
Im not sure there are really any medications that would be good for spiders? Short of finding some antibiotic ointment and rubbing it on the book lungs or something like that, the only thing to do is wait. MMs tend to not live long, anyways, so itd really only be helping it for about a year, depending on when it matured. Also, the antibiotic ointment idea may do more harm than good as it may be toxic to the spider. I doubt tarantulas were on the testing criteria.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My T has lost a lot of its ventral hairs, and based on what we can see now my friend thinks the T actually is a mature male. When we examined the exuvium several months ago, there was what really appeared to be spermathecae, but the exuvium had been munched on a little bit and that made it hard to be sure. Seeing the consensus in this thread, MM seems likely. I just need more practice sexing T's!
If you can get a good photo of the palps, that will end the debate about whether your Avic is a mature male.

Mature male Avics also have little hooks or spurs under their front legs for propping up the female during mating. (I like to call them his "lady jacks.")

Here are some comparison images for a mature female and mature male showing what features to look for.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
@AssassinBug
We don't need a picture, any beginner can easily tell if it's mature or not. Take a good look at your Avicularia avicularia's pedipalps. Mature male Avicularia avicularia lack pink toes on the pedipalps while immature males and females have pink toed pedipalps that match their pink toed legs. Easiest way for beginners to tell if they have a mature male.

I agree, it looks to be a mature male. The body structure(as mentioned), the lack of red setae, and (from what I can tell) seems to have a bulbous pedipalp that lacks a pink toe. Not to mention, your book lung pic tells me it's male. ;)

Last edited:

AssassinBug

Arachnopeon
@AssassinBug Update please, I'm still wishing and praying the spider is still alive, please up-date so we all know exactly what has happened and when, thanks @AssassinBug
Thank you for asking, mconnachan. There's been no change so far. He is spending most of his time near the bottom of his cork bark, and the white discharge from his book lungs is still thick and draining off the bottom of his abdomen. The sample I cultured was definitely bacterial, and probably pathogenic (based on a Gram Stain test). He isn't eating, and I don't believe he's visited his water dish in the last week. Based on the guidance from this thread (thank you all for your input) I believe he is a MM with a book lung infection.
My profile picture is of this same spider when I first got him. He has definitely declined since then, and probably won't last much longer. He's been a wonderful first tarantula, and it's hard to see him in this condition. Thank you again for all your support.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Thank you for asking, mconnachan. There's been no change so far. He is spending most of his time near the bottom of his cork bark, and the white discharge from his book lungs is still thick and draining off the bottom of his abdomen. The sample I cultured was definitely bacterial, and probably pathogenic (based on a Gram Stain test). He isn't eating, and I don't believe he's visited his water dish in the last week. Based on the guidance from this thread (thank you all for your input) I believe he is a MM with a book lung infection.
My profile picture is of this same spider when I first got him. He has definitely declined since then, and probably won't last much longer. He's been a wonderful first tarantula, and it's hard to see him in this condition. Thank you again for all your support.
No thank you for sharing, you must be very attached to this guy, as he was your very first T, it's always sad when anomalies like these happen, hope he passes with dignity and in a manner fitting to the obvious treasure you behold him to be.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Sorry to hear there's been no improvement. Unfortunately, I think all you can really do is give him the best life you can until he passes. Considering he was already set to be frozen before you got him, you've already given him a longer lease on life and he's probably been much happier in the proper set up that you provided for him. How's the other one you got doing?

AssassinBug

Arachnopeon
I'm sad to report that my MM died this morning. It was quick, at least. He was on his cork bark when I checked on him before making coffee, and five minutes later when l left the kitchen he was in the death curl. I sat by his cage for a while, watching for any movement, but he was fully curled and completely still. I waited until this afternoon to remove him, just in case. I'm sad he's gone, but it was inevitable. Thank you all again for your advice, going all the way back to October when I first acquired him. I'm very glad I found this community!

AssassinBug

Arachnopeon
@PidderPeets I'm sorry, I think I missed your question from a few weeks ago! The other Avic seems to be thriving. It (she?) has molted twice in the current enclosure, and has diligently torn down the web afterwards both times, which had been fun to watch. Here are a couple pics, if you're interested!

Attachments

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I'm sad to report that my MM died this morning. It was quick, at least. He was on his cork bark when I checked on him before making coffee, and five minutes later when l left the kitchen he was in the death curl. I sat by his cage for a while, watching for any movement, but he was fully curled and completely still. I waited until this afternoon to remove him, just in case. I'm sad he's gone, but it was inevitable. Thank you all again for your advice, going all the way back to October when I first acquired him. I'm very glad I found this community!
So sorry to hear about your loss! :( Based on the entirety of this thread, his time spent with you was probably the safest and most comfortable for him. You saved him from being frozen, from a less than suitable enclosure, and you made it very clear you cared for him and always had his best interests in mind. You got a couple good months out of him at least. I'm sure it also introduced you to a very interesting and unique community you might not have joined otherwise.

I'm glad to hear the other one is doing well. Hopefully this one turns out to be a female so you can enjoy her for years to come! Maybe some others on here can sex it based on that ventral shot you provided. Male or female, it's quite pretty