Advice need

k9teacher

Arachnopeon
Hi
I am looking for some advice on what spider would be the best suited for what I am looking for.

I have a vintage 20 high fishtank that I will be using as a habitat. I want a spider that is not too too aggressive, a non burrower, is colorful and is active and bold enough that I can see it often. Would like to be able to handle occasionally but it really is not that important.

I am seriously considering an Antilles pink toe Avicularia Versicolor. They are just beautiful. I live in Florida so heat and humidity should not be a problem, and would use a screen top so cirulation should not be an issue either.

If I get a couple of spiderlings can they be kept together in this size tank together when they mature ??

I naturally am hoping for a female but really want to raise the spiders from babies because I like to watch them grow. Maybe its maternal instinct gone haywire. LOL

I am open to any suggestions for any other types that would fit my bill. No burrowers and super agressives please. Just a pretty spider that is on the active side

Thanks in advance for your time.

Toni

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well... Avicularia is pretty much a given for genus

versicolor is not particularily known to work well together, as far as i know

what is sold as A. avicularia is probably your best bet if yuo want to try more than one in the same cage. plus, you are more likely to be able to find someone with a fresh sac that you can score 3-5 off of for not too steep and pop them all in

though... it does seem like the odds are you are going to lose at least one to cannibalism or fighting

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Toni,
As for the spider you are looking for, an Antillies Pink Toe is a good choice. I have heard that they are communal but I have had canibalism with this species when keeping them together. Just make sure you feed them really well and you shouldnt have too much of a problem. Mine got snagged by another when I left on a trip for 2 wks. I'm guessing that I was a day or two late on getting them food so little brother became food. Survival of the fittest I guess.

Here are a few more I might suggest:
Any of the poecilotheria ( for the most part these are just skittish and fleety not too aggressive, that would be a Suntiger)
What about a diff type of Arvic... brick reds are sweet
Some of the aboreal Asia spiders are nice but tend to quite defensive...
I don't know... you can't really go wrong with any aboreal T in my mind!:eek:

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
While the "Pokies" are very beautiful, I have to disagree with Detwan. No, they aren't the most likely to bite you. They are among some of the fastest Ts that are readily available though. This makes them very difficult to keep if you are inexperienced. Also, their venom is extremely potent. Take a look in the bite report section to get an idea of what you're in for if you get bitten. It's certainly not going to be fun, and if you're very unfortunate, you may have to go to the hospital to get something for the pain. I'd say that you are most definately on track with the Avicularias. The A. Avics seem to be more communal than their veriscolor cousins, though the veriscolors are absolutely amazing to look at. Both are handleable (generally speaking). And, their bite isn't bad at all should be be so unfortunate to get tagged. If you would like something a little different, then I would actually suggest a Psalmopoeus Irminia, common name Venezuelan Suntiger. The females are beautiful. Yes, they are fast and generally not handleable (but so are pokies). If you do get bitten by one, it's not a bad bite compaired to a pokie or heterscodra. Something to think about. Avics sound like the right genus for what you're looking for, but if you want something different I'd suggest a P. Irminia over any of the Poecilotherias....

EDIT-- I forgot to mention that you'll have to tell us what you decide on!

Last edited: