1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice ASAP!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by ZHESSWA, Feb 14, 2018.

1. ZHESSWA

ZHESSWA Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Alright so I just received my order of slings, among them a P. Rufilata I've been desiring for quite some time. I started unpacking the P. Rufilata sling and noticed that it seemed to have molted mid-shipment. It's still alive and I can for sure see 6 legs moving correctly, however I believe it's actually still trying to finish molting right now as when it I prodded it with my paintbrush, the molt moved with the first two legs on the right side of the t. Can't quite tell if the molt is in process still or maybe the molt is just stuck onto it because of the shipping? For right now, I put the Rufilata in a vacant old plastic container I had for slings with just the damp paper towel it was wrapped in. Anything suggestions or opinions? I would upload a picture but I can tell the spider is stressed and I figure it'd be best to like her/him for a minute anyways. Will he/she be alright? Thanks in advance!

2. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

If the carapace, fangs and abdomen are out then you should be fine just leaving it be until it either gets the legs out or decides that it's futile and drops them, losing two legs isn't a big deal and by trying to help it out you could end up doing more harm than good.

It might be a good idea to message the seller just in case.

My GBB moulted in transit but managed to get itself out without any issues.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. darkness975

darkness975 Brachypelma darknessi Arachnosupporter

Like @The Grym Reaper said as long as the vital parts are out there will be little issues with a lost leg or two. It will regenerate them soon enough.

You may want to contact the seller to inform them it molted during shipment. There is nothing they can do about that, but if it suffered any complications being jostled around and takes a turn for the worst it's best to have it documented so you have a stronger case for getting a replacement free of charge.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. ZHESSWA

ZHESSWA Arachnopeon

Alright, I contacted the seller to let them know. Could you believe that the C. Fimbriatus I ordered also decided to do that! 2/3 of my new Ts molted mid transit. I didn't even pull this one out, I opened the vial, saw the leg sheen from a fresh molt and a little bit of movement, and I just put the vial within the enclosure. I'll let this T crawl out when it's ready.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ZHESSWA

ZHESSWA Arachnopeon

Update: the C. Fimbriatus appears to be good, finally out from the paper towel and when i moved the paper towel I had to nudge it off and it bolted so that's a good sign. P. Rufilata is definitely mobile as it's moved since I've last checked, but the molt still appears stuck. Good news is I believe only one leg might be trapped.

6. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Do your best to remove the molt...try grabbing it with a tweezers and rub a wet q tip or paint brush on the stuck area. The sooner you get to it, the easier removal will be...the longer you wait, it will harden and not come off...also the longer you wait to get those legs out, the higher chance that they will end up more twisted or curled.

I suggest high powered reading glasses or a magnifying glass to help you really see what's going on.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron

Sucks when they molt in transit. They couldn't pick a worse time. At least from how you describe, it should turn out ok.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ZHESSWA

ZHESSWA Arachnopeon

I took your advice and proceeded to go ahead and operate and you were right...the old molt and his/her current legs were a mangled mess and hardened to the point of beyond return. In the end, she/he ended up losing 1 1/2 legs from the molt freeing process. The Rufilata seems alright though, she scaled the walls of the enclosure after this and retreated behind some cork bark. I've never had anything like this happen before, I know they can regrow their legs just fine especially since it was so young, but do I have to worry about bleeding out or anything? Thanks for all you help and input everyone! I'm optimistic even though the legs were lost, at least she's alive and free from the molt.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Tarantulas have what basically amounts to a valve at the base of each leg...they can close this, shutting off flow to affected legs...making it highly unusual for a t to bleed to death from a leg issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. darkness975

darkness975 Brachypelma darknessi Arachnosupporter

Let it rest now. It is so recently molted and it will need to recuperate. Keep the water dish full and don't try to feed it until the exoskeleton is fully hardened and the fangs are black.