Adult Terrestrial from Jamie's Tarantulas

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
View attachment 251659 Miss Moxie:

Quick question for you: should I rest the water dish on top of the substrate? Or should I "bury" it so that the edge of the dish is level with the substrate?

Attached is a pic of what I "think" is the T drinking from the dish.

I have also decided to remove the plant. I attached the leaves to the back wall of the enclosure to give some color, but at the same time free up some floor space. (Less room for cricket to hide.)
T is drinking

I keep mine slightly above sub, similar to yours. WARNING: Ts don't always use their bowl even when they should, and sometimes you have to lead them to water.

DadsGlasses

Arachnosquire
T is drinking

I keep mine slightly above sub, similar to yours. WARNING: Ts don't always use their bowl even when they should, and sometimes you have to lead them to water.

Thank you. Can you expand on this a little more? Any tips for how to do this?

I guess I should watch water levels and also for signs of dehydration? And if I see them, then the T should be led to water?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you. Can you expand on this a little more? Any tips for how to do this?

I guess I should watch water levels and also for signs of dehydration? And if I see them, then the T should be led to water?
I have to run out door.

The best guide to T hydration is size of abdomen and body posture.

Sometimes I have to add a drop or two on webbing/sub to lead them to water...like breadcrumbs...it always works.

Others will chime in at some point.

DadsGlasses

Arachnosquire
I have to run out door.

The best guide to T hydration is size of abdomen and body posture.

Sometimes I have to add a drop or two on webbing/sub to lead them to water...like breadcrumbs...it always works.

Others will chime in at some point.

Thank you. This is very helpful. I appreciate it.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
These are neat enclosures. I have two of them because the first one was cracked, and Jamie was very quick to send a replacement. The cracked one is still very functional, as it is only cracked on a bottom corner. So I only paid for one:) Definitely pricey for a serious hobbyist with many tarantulas. But if you have just the one, not too bad. Considering how much dough I'd sunk into building large reptile enclosures in the past, this T enclosure is mere pennies in comparison:eek:

As stated earlier, though, I am actually seeing a bit of warping happening on mine. It's nothing major. But it causes the door to be a little sticky because it doesn't line up the same as it used to. And you can see the curving shape when viewing it from the side.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
These are neat enclosures. I have two of them because the first one was cracked, and Jamie was very quick to send a replacement. The cracked one is still very functional, as it is only cracked on a bottom corner. So I only paid for one:) Definitely pricey for a serious hobbyist with many tarantulas. But if you have just the one, not too bad. Considering how much dough I'd sunk into building large reptile enclosures in the past, this T enclosure is mere pennies in comparison:eek:

As stated earlier, though, I am actually seeing a bit of warping happening on mine. It's nothing major. But it causes the door to be a little sticky because it doesn't line up the same as it used to. And you can see the curving shape when viewing it from the side.

Why not exo-terra for arboreals? They don't warp, and is 30% cheaper lol.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Why not exo-terra for arboreals? They don't warp, and is 30% cheaper lol.
Just info for the OP, who already has one. I don’t purchase any more of these, nor do I purchase exo terras. I use upturned aquaria that cost me less than $10:)

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Just info for the OP, who already has one. I don’t purchase any more of these, nor do I purchase exo terras. I use upturned aquaria that cost me less than $10:)

Funny you mentioned this. Im about to go now and buy a fish tank for my arriving adult P. sazimai xD 14 bucks please. How to say no.

DadsGlasses

Arachnosquire

Definitely a great price for an enclosure. What do you do to provide cross ventilation? Or is that not really necessary? Thanks for the reply.