Adult or juvenile?

jm2628

Arachnopeon
Is there a reliable way to determine if hadrurus arizonensis is fully mature? Any subtle hints? Couldn't find an answer when I searched. Will post pic of my new desert hairy shortly.

jm2628

Arachnopeon
I was a little nervous about getting another desert hairy because i don't know if there are noticeable differences between mature adults and one that has maybe one more molt on the way. Well I bought a new, seemingly adult, hadrurus arizonensis. Here are some pics of my new girl(I think)

Attachments

jm2628

Arachnopeon
Sooo no differences? Anyone have an opinion on male or female?

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
Didn't your vendor have any information? They are most likely wild caught specimins and that's fine for this species if you are new. A estimate in size will help too.

jm2628

Arachnopeon
Didn't your vendor have any information? They are most likely wild caught specimins and that's fine for this species if you are new. A estimate in size will help too.
The vendor had very little information, only that she was a good eater. She is about 4" from tip of claws to back of curled tail. Also she is fairly docile, at least as docile as my old emperor that i handled constantly.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Usually the coloration is a bit different as well as parts of the body. This looks to be an adult.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
brandontymers is correct, the body will become darker as they age, not as dark as H. spadix, but quite dark. yours looks to be an adult Male.

jm2628

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your replies! I was hoping he was mature so that is great news!

brandontymers is correct, the body will become darker as they age, not as dark as H. spadix, but quite dark. yours looks to be an adult Male.
Dry desert, can you tell me why you believe it to be a male? Is it the size of the pectines? I don't doubt you, just trying to learn how to tell the difference

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Hi,
On most species of scorpions not only are the pectines more developed and having more "teeth" but in the male the genital operculum, the area above the pectines, has a definate seperation between the two plates and is usually oval in shape, in the female the plates are fused together and are a heart shape as opposed to oval - I hope this helps.
Obviously it is more positive if you can compare the two side by side, and desert hairys are one of the more difficult to sex as the tooth count on the pectines is almost the same.