Adult female stirmi

Hairyleglover

Arachnopeon
I am trying to locate a seller with adult female Stirmi. I have found a few ads for them listed as adults but upon inquiring they are only 4-5 inches. What’s up with that?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I am trying to locate a seller with adult female Stirmi. I have found a few ads for them listed as adults but upon inquiring they are only 4-5 inches. What’s up with that?
Sometimes people in the hobby call sub-adults, just simply: adults. Maybe the adult listing is a mistake but since there’s no such website (yet :troll::smug: ... as tarantulafinder.com, a play on words of the website horsefinder), there’s no real Shangri La of T collecting. Sometimes to get the species you want, you might avail yourself to multiple sized spiders for potential purchase. If I were looking for a Theraphosa, I’d think I’d definitely want to purchase one at a smaller size; here’s why - You and it can get used to each other when it’s only 4-5 inches and not the 10 inch behemoth that it will one day grow to be. It may not seem like it, but experience is key to a sound foundation for success.

Hairyleglover

Arachnopeon
I agree completely on the notion of experience being paramount to success, the main reason I was looking for a mature specimen was the fact I’d really like to have a female. The long life expectancies are the main attraction to me. I raised 4 LP from 1/8 slings and all males. I saw a post saying the only way to get a female 100% is to buy a matured one already sexed.

PS I hate horses I find them arrogant :)

Thank you for reply!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
4-5 inches is a juvenile, so I would call it lazy or deceptive marketing. If you want a female T. stirmi it shouldn't be hard to find them since there are many WC imports in the US already. While WC specimens are not a good thing in one way, it certainly has caused a deflation of pricing of T. stirmi within the hobby. The only thing I have noticed is how many WC imports of T. stirmi are males in comparison to females. If you're wanting to buy an adult Female T. stirmi, chances are slim to none if you're seeking the 8'' Female. I bought my female 6'' for $80 but I was only lucky since I knew the vendor and was on decent terms with them. I don't think T. stirmi females are too hard to find at the moment.

Last edited:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I agree completely on the notion of experience being paramount to success, the main reason I was looking for a mature specimen was the fact I’d really like to have a female. The long life expectancies are the main attraction to me. I raised 4 LP from 1/8 slings and all males. I saw a post saying the only way to get a female 100% is to buy a matured one already sexed.

Thank you for reply!
Yeah horses can be jerks and I say that as a dude that owns a hay burner myself! :rofl:One thing good about Theraphosa species is that they are very reliably ventral sexed and if you can get a seller to send you a ventral view and then upload it to the Theraphosa Vent Sexing gallery in the gallery tab at the top of the page. That way, we can make sure you get a female!:D

Hairyleglover

Arachnopeon
That is a good deal, I found a gentleman offering a “6 inch or so suspected female” for about that price I may take that route! I will ask for a ventral shot first though. Thank you guys for the advice!! I really appreciate it!!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The main reason I was looking for a mature specimen was the fact I’d really like to have a female. The long life expectancies are the main attraction to me.
If lifespan is your main priority then a juvenile female would be better than an adult. Also, Theraphosa are ridiculously easy to sex, ask the seller for ventral shots (males have a dark triangular patch of hairs between the first pair of book lungs, females don't) or pics of the moult.

cold blood

Staff member

Thank you for reply!
Lmao...a 4-5" female will live longer than its older full size counterpart....in fact, buy a full size adult and you have no idea if it's actually near the end of its lifespan....a smaller female guarantees more time with the animal.

There may be no easier t to reliably vent sex than a stirmi.

. I saw a post saying the only way to get a female 100% is to buy a matured one already sexed.

Well that's an example of not believing everything you read. That's our grapes from getting a male, not the truth . Every day people buy little tiny slings that grow up to be females. Literally, every day.

Last edited: