Adult Female P.regalis enclosure

Teagan82

Arachnopeon
A good friend who keeps 80 Ts has offered to give me one of his adult female P.regalis since he is downsizing. He actually keeps it in quite a small enclosure (5.5 x 5.5 x 15) and I would like to rehouse it to something larger since she is 6 inches. I have a 12x12x12 Exo Terra lying around and was wondering if that could work (I am absolutely willing to buy a 12x12x18 if not) I have some pothos and a nice cork round that would fit the cube (12x12x12) but I really want her set up well and if that's too small I can get her something bigger.
I also have a 10 gallon with a metal lid but my home isn't very big and this is my last T (famous last words, as I already have 15 and only ever planned to get 1)
Any advice is much appreciated.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
That's enough space. You know you're going to get more though so you may as well get more enclosures lol.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
I think all my pokies are in the 12x12x18 exo-terra enclosures. I do remove the mesh from the lid(can be a chore for sure with the blue they use) and replace it with a piece of plexi. It is adhered to the removable frame that had the mesh on it with silicone. I then drill the ventilation holes starting with four rows near the front. If more is needed i can easily add more ventilation. The 12x12x12 would work just fine just make sure you do not over crowd the enclosure with too many decorations.

Teagan82

Arachnopeon
I think all my pokies are in the 12x12x18 exo-terra enclosures. I do remove the mesh from the lid(can be a chore for sure with the blue they use) and replace it with a piece of plexi. It is adhered to the removable frame that had the mesh on it with silicone. I then drill the ventilation holes starting with four rows near the front. If more is needed i can easily add more ventilation. The 12x12x12 would work just fine just make sure you do not over crowd the enclosure with too many decorations.
The spider was a little smaller than expected and just moulted 2 weeks ago so I’m going with the 12x12x12 while I wait for the lps to get the 12x12x18 I’m stock:/ She appears to have enough space for now (definitely
Thanks so much for the reply, I’m brand new here. It turns out she was a little smaller than expected so she is currently in the 12x12x12 and appears to have plenty of room. First pokie transfer was thankfully a breeze. She is very nice and calm.

That's enough space. You know you're going to get more though so you may as well get more enclosures lol.
I am 100% upgrading in a moult or two. She was smaller than expected.

I just got ahold of some plexiglass and that is on the docket for tomorrow:) she currently has enough room with a small round hide and a flat cork bark with just two small plants. Thanks for the reply!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I just got ahold of some plexiglass and that is on the docket for tomorrow:) she currently has enough room with a small round hide and a flat cork bark with just two small plants. Thanks for the reply!
Enclosure looks good, although your screen lid appears to be slightly warped/bent in the pictures...make sure theres no gap it can escape through.

Last thing you need is a large P.regalis loose somewhere in the house.

Teagan82

Arachnopeon
Enclosure looks good, although your screen lid appears to be slightly warped/bent in the pictures...make sure theres no gap it can escape through.

Last thing you need is a large P.regalis loose somewhere in the house.
Amen to that. The screen is intact and I added some clips for extra security. I threw on an Exo Terra combination door lock as well (have kids in the house so can’t be too careful!)

Its just fine, it does not need to be upgraded.
No? That’s good news:) I don’t like to bother them once they are settled. I had someone tell me it’s cruel to keep an adult female P.regalis in less than 12x12x18...there are so many strong opinions and I’m still new.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
No? That’s good news:) I don’t like to bother them once they are settled. I had someone tell me it’s cruel to keep an adult female P.regalis in less than 12x12x18...there are so many strong opinions and I’m still new.
Be very careful who you trust with advice in this hobby.

Only the largest of females would need that size enclosure, yours clearly has more then enough room in the current setup...your not being cruel at all lol.

Teagan82

Arachnopeon
Be very careful who you trust with advice in this hobby.

Only the largest of females would need that size enclosure, yours clearly has more then enough room in the current setup...your not being cruel at all lol.
She does appear to have enough space:) just hiding behind her cork bark. The piece of cork bark is a foot long.

Facts are always better than opinions:)

You know what they say about opinions.:rolleyes:
So true:) as a new keeper (still first year) it’s a minefield of doing your best, learning all you can, asking honest questions and getting yelled at. Lol

Attachments

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Also just so you know, pokies are fairly drought resistant and can be kept drier than we once thought. You don't have to worry about keeping things really moist and if the enclosure dries out a little it's not a problem. These are pretty hardy spiders, so you could feasibly keep it just about any way you wanted (except terrestially)

Teagan82

Arachnopeon
Also just so you know, pokies are fairly drought resistant and can be kept drier than we once thought. You don't have to worry about keeping things really moist and if the enclosure dries out a little it's not a problem. These are pretty hardy spiders, so you could feasibly keep it just about any way you wanted (except terrestially)
Thanks very much. I heard something like that from a YouTube keeper but it’s nice to have it confirmed! The enclosure is a little moist now from the freshly soaked subrate but I won’t keep her that way. Thanks very much! I am happy to take any advice that helps my Ts.

cold blood

Staff member
Given the proper space, you can even keep them terrestrially.