Adult Brachypelma Albopilosum Enclosure and Substrate Depth

Gerbear

Arachnopeon
Hello! I recently got a lovely young B.Albo, with roughly a 2" DLS.

I am thinking about her future enclosure for when she is full grown, and I'm wondering about the size of the enclosure I should get for her.

Looking into acrylic, and mostly interested in the height. 1.5 times DLS from substrate to ceiling, so about 8", but how much more room should I be getting for substrate? I've read everything from 1" of substrate to 6" as they will dig.

I would love to hear what you folks use for enclosures, their dimsensions, and how much substrate is needed!

P.S. The reason I'm looking into acrylic, is for display purposes, and I don't mind paying the obscene prices that acrylic costs now.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So many different enclosure options, plastic tubs, critter keepers, aquariums...they can all do the job. My specimen always burrowed, even as an adult. I would match leg span in terms of burrowing depth, so for an AF your looking at 5-6" of burrowing depth.

NewTguy

Arachnosquire
I just got a B. Albo adult female, a bit under 5" DLS. I have her in a 5 gal glass aquarium from PSP, 10" high with about 4-5" substrate (pic attached). It seems to be working well. Note that I plan to remove the rocks based on advice received here regarding risk of injury.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I just got a B. Albo adult female, a bit under 5" DLS. I have her in a 5 gal glass aquarium from PSP, 10" high with about 4-5" substrate (pic attached). It seems to be working well. Note that I plan to remove the rocks based on advice received here regarding risk of injury.

Bury that hide down in the sub to the point where the entrance is barely visible. Tarantulas dont like open hides, they prefer enclosed and dark spaces...it will burrow to expand to expand as it sees fit.

Should look something like this.

NewTguy

Arachnosquire
Bury that hide down in the sub to the point where the entrance is barely visible. Tarantulas dont like open hides, they prefer enclosed and dark spaces...it will burrow to expand to expand as it sees fit.
You sure called that right, I took a look and mine already started mounding up substrate in front of the opening

Last edited:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Everything has been covered, so I won't repeat what has already been said.

I like to use sterilite tubs which make perfect enclosures that also take up less space, which means more new additions.