Addition to M. Balfouri communal

Esque

Arachnopeon
Hi all,
I have been keeping 2 M.Balfouri in a communal setting for around 8 months now and I plan to rehouse them. I have another 2 M. Balfouri (different egg sac from the previous 2, about 2-3 months younger) that is kept individually. I was thinking of putting all 4 together, but just wondering if anyone have any experience of adding more m. balfouri to their already existing setting, and if you do, did it turn out ok?

Arachnotroik

Arachnosquire
From what i've heard & read, they should be in close contact with each other since birth to have a successfull communal set-up. So i guess it's a bad idea to put them all together in that way, but still im not really that sure... :)

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
From what I've heard balfouri are the only Ts this would work with. If they all felt comfortable enough in an enclosure and their care was correct etc. I've heard it's possible to introduce spiders from different sacks, and even spiders that are different sizes. As always with any communal though there are going to be risks that it doesn't go well.

boina

Lady of the mites
Yes, it is possible - but it also may go wrong. I've heard from some people where it work and from at least two where it didn't work and the larger spiders ate the smaller. It's high risk - it's your spiders but it would be too much risk for me.

Sana

Arachnoprince
The risk of canabalism (I hope I spelled that right otherwise I feel like an idiot) always exists within a communal setup. That’s one that can go really right or really wrong. I keep a communal myself and I’ve had this fun question. The best answer that I’ve come across is to rehouse all of them into an enclosure that’s new to everyone. The theory (mind you I’m not a spider so I can’t verify this) is that you aren’t putting additional tarantulas into an established “territory” for lack of a better word. So far so good in my case but no matter what plans you make there isn’t a zero risk option.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I would argue that the only zero risk option at this point would be to sell or trade your Balfouri for a group of Sac mates who have been together if you really want a communal group. Otherwise, yes you are taking a chance. And keep in mind that zero risk is not really in the cards for any tarantula situation. Even siblings have been known to settle differences the old-fashioned way. :sour:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi all,
I have been keeping 2 M.Balfouri in a communal setting for around 8 months now and I plan to rehouse them. I have another 2 M. Balfouri (different egg sac from the previous 2, about 2-3 months younger) that is kept individually. I was thinking of putting all 4 together, but just wondering if anyone have any experience of adding more m. balfouri to their already existing setting, and if you do, did it turn out ok?
Communals are bad ideas. However, for people playing god, sacmates work best.